Cryengine / Lumberyard

The recently licensing change of CryEngine 5 to royalty mode make it less attracting as Lumberyard. So I support lumberyard course now.

Yeah, I would really be down for a Lumberyard course.
A Lumberyard/Lua/C++ course would be great.

Just did a search on Udemy and there are no Lumberyard courses there now, so you will steal the market if you do one now.

Hi,

I was looking for Lumberyard tutorial on the internet and came across this site. I saw some preview of other tutorial made by this site on Udemy, so it would be great a professional tutorial can be made for Lumberyard as well.

At this point, ScriptCanvas is still in early stage but I can already make something useful/playable from it, hopefully version 1.16 onward will give more nodes for ScriptCanvas. I think ScriptCanvas is still a long way from reaching minimum viable feature.

However, Iā€™d like to suggest the tutorial to be c++ focused, so that student are able to create Gems and custom ScriptCanvas as the outcome of the whole tutorial. Also, since Lumberyard is going to be a Multiplayer focused engine, I think it is best to cover relevant AWS service overview on what and how to use in the same tutorial package.

Iā€™d like to suggest bare-boned game sample tutorial to be made in 5 stages while covering CloudCanvas:

1. Beginner: C++ basic: Turn based game or anything easy enough to understand essential C++ know-how.
  2. Beginner: Turn based game: Cognito, Lambda, DB, GameSparks
  3. Intermediate: Small MOBA/FPS: Gamelift (Use Starter Game Assets)
  4. Advance: Persistent Open World Concept: TwitchPlay (Imagine Hunger Games with twitch chat as audience) - Give enough programming concept just to make it work at small scale since this would be a very large scope.
  5. Advance: IAP 101, Server deployment 101 (with relevant AWS), Analystic 101.

Also, Iā€™d like to suggest to cover topic about directories management (gitignore, etc) and project setup (gems, etc), which can be daunting to look at such as installing gem and build the game. I can say at current state it is very awful to work with, however the premises being able to make a single player without cost and deeply integrated multiplayer functionality makes the engine very attractive in that aspect.

Since the tutorial package above looks big already, Iā€™d like to suggest another tutorial package covering the other aspect included in lumberyard. Call it ā€œUtilizing Lumberyard Module for a complete Game Developmentā€ or something. This is to supplement the ā€œBarebonesā€ made in the previous tutorial.

1. FBX import 101. (at this point working with fbx in LY is an annoyance)
  2. EmotionFX - Animation 101
  3. WWise - Audio 101
  4. Environment design 101 - Using SpeedTree, Road/River Tool,
  5. UI development 101. Use Lua + Script Canvas (Since C++ should already be covered in previous tutorial)
  6. Create similar games in previous tutorial but this time use ScriptCanvas (Might have to wait it until it is out of Preview stage).
1 Like

CryEngine and Lumberyard are going into 2 different directions now. Personally, I would love to see a course made for Lumberyard. Amazon has the power to make something great with it in the next few years, and I already feel more comfortable messing in this engine than in Unreal.

I hope the discussions with Amazon are going well, it would be something awesome to have. I love how Ben is teaching and this would be a great opportunity to dive even more in Lumberyard! Keep us updated :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms