Creating The Foundation and Optimizing Your Code

I’m currently halfway through the C++ Fundamentals course and about halfway through the Dapper Dan project where the focus has shifted to optimizing and cleaning the code that’s been written. I’m curious, from those of you with more experience, is this how the process works when you develop your projects? Do you start with rudimentary lines of code to build the foundation of what you need, then come back through and clean it up? Or do you just go straight to the most efficient method?

If I had to guess, I’d say if you’re fluent enough you’d go straight for the optimized approach, but I have zero knowledge of coding and game development. Let me know your thoughts! I’m still rough on the terminology, so feel free to explain it to me like I’m five.

Cheers!
Rob

You will never get the most optimal code first time around, you will always refractor code, especially in game dev. While that method might of seemed best at the time as you add more stuff in that could change.

Yes as you gain experience you will think of dependency cycles and such but refactoring your code, will always happen.

Privacy & Terms