Covered bridge - Attempt at Realism

Finally had chance to dive back into Blender and play around with UV mapping and shading. The model is based on a picture of a Covered Bridge, but still seems to be lacking in the realism. Any suggestion on how to improve it?

5 Likes

Realism is hard to do…

Though your render looks good already :slight_smile:

First things that pops up for me are the “too perfect geometry” and too much tilling in the textures, no background (floating buildings in the air are immediately not real). Lighting probably will need some work.

1 Like

As bOBaN said, realism is difficult. You do have to consider there wouldn’t really be a repeating pattern on any surface, no surfaces would be perfect or square or completely flat in any way. Even just slight differences between one opening and the next, the roof tiles are the most difficult to push to being real looking.

However, this being your first attempt at realism, it’s pretty great. Keep practicing for sure.

2 Likes

Realism is hard as others have said.

The first thing that is out of place is the internal light. No reason for it to be there.
Second is the lack of an environment especially hdri which adds real environment lighting.
The third is are those roof tiles? Shingles? Are flat, the texture needs at least normal map fake displacement or better modeled proper roof.
The roof end boards seem wrong, sideways tiles?
The upright posts have a very obvious pale patch repeating, unrealistically.
Real world debris, weeds, grass.

Details details, real or faked.

1 Like

Thank you for the awesome feedback. Any tips on how to add randomness when using a texture image to cover a large surface?

Well If it is one big plane, not a lot really. Make it realistically, separate tiles. Then if the file size is a problem, as in game use, ‘bake’ the high resolution multi tile to a lower resolution version.

If you array out and cover an area with tiles, separate then as individual objects, then select them all you can then add randomness to their position, scale, rotation with a few clicks. Warning, tiny tiny amounts only.

Example tiled roof. Arrayed out exact and precise. (widened edge tiles to straighten roof edges from the alternated nature of tiling as in real life.) Which were then 'randomised as mentioned above. If I recall I also had made a custom transform orientation set up to use so Down ‘Z’ was lined up to the roof angle. Then as you can make out in this case I randomly selected a portion of the tiles and gave then a slight colour difference. This can be repeated more often. When things are separate you can vary them. In the wooden gothic tracery also just visible there are ways of adding ‘dirt’ via ‘pointiness’ into corners effectively too. Such things could be added. Theoretically, the roof tiles when done to satisfaction could be baked to a low resolution single plane, just never my personal interest in low poly/games/animation.

Took the chance being in mind, to add that pointiness based dirt to the tiles too.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms