Course Feedback

Hi @ben / @Rob ,

Just wanted to say thanks first of all, really enjoying the course so far! I’m a web developer by trade so I thought I’d got to the point where I knew C# inside out and I knew conventions etc, but it’s great to see that from a new perspective as a games developer and see how some of those conventions shift.

I’m glad you guys mentioned the code ownership issue as that one thing that was niggling at me that I was importing code and not writing it for myself. So thanks for that!

Overall, I think the pace is really good I don’t feel that things are going too fast or too slow and one thing I’ve really taken to is how you guys explain that what you put in is what you get out. So I decided to go with quite a dark theme for my game and move away from the comedy theme which does by definition present me with some differences to go away and try to manipulate what you guys are doing into my own format. I think the support has been fantastic and that community you guys have built is great, so a lot of the time I’ve found that something isn’t working the way it should and I’ve been able to pop in here and see if people are facing the same challenges and often this has kicked my brain into gear and planted a seed for me to think ‘ah so maybe it’s something to do with this element’ and then from there I can go away and fix the issue without ever asking the question.

I’ve recently branched out into web training myself and I’ve been able to take away some great concepts for your course (for example setting challenges based around stuff I’ve taught and then for bonus points set challenges around things I’ve not to get people thinking about how to customise their application).

Going forward from the RPG course I’d like to carry on expanding my Unity knowledge into other areas so maybe a First Person Shooter cross section would be great too so we can see things from the other side of the coin so to speak.

Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Hi Liane,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderfully positive piece of feedback, I am really pleased to hear that you are enjoying both the course and the community. :slight_smile:

It’s actually @Ben and @Rick_Davidson who instruct on this course, as opposed to myself, I’ve tagged them both so that they can get that warm fuzziness associated with awesome feedback :slight_smile:

If you are happy to, please do share your progress with your darker-themed RPG with the community, everyone’s contributions really do add such value to everyone else and are often very inspiring for those just picking up one of the courses and wondering what they may be able to achieve themselves.

People are often confusing Rob and I… must be his accent! :slight_smile:

@WebDevWolf - Thanks for your kind words. Its really great to know that you are enjoying the course and getting value from it!

Ha ha - sorry about the name mix up guys!

@Rob - In some of the earlier lessons I’ve shared how my dark city theme is shaping up :slight_smile: - feel to pop back and take a look as any feedback is more than welcome :wink:

Thanks!

Was that shared on the forum or on Udemy @WebDevWolf?

That’s on the forum @Rob - can’t remember where though if I’m honest

This one I think?

Yep that’s the one :slight_smile:

It’s had some good feedback across the forums - people really like how oppressive the alley way feels - it’s by no mean polished yet, but you can feel the basic concept. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice, look forward to seeing more when you’re ready to share :slight_smile:

Thanks - I took a break from the RPG course to be honest and went back to the 3D unity course because I felt like I needed a break and wanted to try something a little less challenging, just to refresh my memory and get some inspiration for the RPG really. Working well so far as I already have a few ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea and one which has paid off, nice to keep things fresh. I think some of the sections in the RPG are just a little bit too long personally, I think if they were split up a little more, with a few less lectures per section it would help drive the motivation to push through. Of course, everyone is different and learns at different rates so there is probably no one-way to do it.

1 Like

I wanted to add a note that it’s really appreciated that you guys have taken the steps to teach the process as well as the refactoring and in essence the messiness of game development so that we get more comfortable with the process instead of hand holding. I want to give reassurance despite where some might complain that this is absolutely the best way to go. I’ve been working in AAA gaming for 12 years at top studios and this is how it’s done. I want to give everyone reassurance that while not perfect, game dev is a messy process, you have to re-think your steps, and refactoring or rethinking how things are done is going to be part of the journey and if all the answers were given and all the hand-holding done, then the idea of making your own game is only going to get much harder, not easier. So thank you guys for taking the time to do it right, for being transparent, and for taking the long route. It’s a great course so far! (hopefully inventory comes up soon). :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms