Comments

Just thought I’d raise the issue that the course so far does not appear to have given a basic overview of Classes in C++ although we have clearly been working with them. Some more information regarding user defined types and their advantages would be useful at this stage, without getting into too much depth. Also covering private, protected and public access which is key to good encapsulation of functionality and data. I do appreciate however this module of the course has undergone significant changes and is still a WIP.

[EDIT 03/09/2019]
Some further feedback having now started and completed the original Bulls and Cows module. In my opinion the original course offers a more comprehensive introduction to C++ and without the distraction of adding the Unreal Engine and Editor at this point. Whilst it was interesting to gain some familiarity with the Unreal Editor I don’t feel this should be at the expense of learning the fundamentals of C++. For me at least this was better accomplished, and remained more focused, without involving Unreal at this stage. Clearly there comes a point where Unreal needs to come into play and again, imo, the original course seems to have pitched that about right.

Please take this as constructive criticism as that is certainly my intention.

2 Likes

I have one other observation I’d like to mention, nothing to do with the course this time but more with Unreal functionality. Whenever I launch my game from the Editor or from the packaged exe it appears to know I have SteamVR installed and automatically launches that along side the game, although as far as I’m aware there is no inbuilt VR functionality in the game (I haven’t actually tried it with my headset on).

Is there a way of disabling this because it actually takes focus away from the game itself.

I am not sure about your VR question, but I very much agree with your original post and edit. I would much rather learn the fundamentals properly then go into UE4 later than make something in UE4 using a bunch of stuff that i do not understand fully yet.

I am starting to think i should just go through the old course 1st and then come back to this one. I was going to just do that once i caught up to the latest videos, but I may just do that now, because I really do not prefer the way this section has been going.

I really like the GameDev courses in general and I know this is a WIP remaster still, so I dont want to sound like I dont like GDtv overall or even this course overall, but imho this section is not what I would have expected from them based on my experience with their other courses.

The course is for UE4 c++ so its a bit of a tug of war between doing more c++ or more UE4.

I think their tug of war is going more like this is a UE4 course so do as much as possible using UE4. That might help differentiate it from other c++ courses.

That does make it more complex though as its just more going on sooner than later as you say.

Yaa, Even i bought the original course but for some reasons I wasn’t able to study that course… And then after some time when I got back the original course got Archived and there was this new course available to me.
No doubt that GameDevs are trying their best to teach us but some of the fundamentals have not been explained so far.
I even took a break from the course again and went onto study some basics of C++ by myself on internet. I’m still not clear about many things though and I’m just going with the flow.

Also, should I go for the Original Course first? Will it help me to clear some basics?

Privacy & Terms