Changing control from point and click to WASD

Just curious if anyone’s tried to change the controls in the RPG course.
I was debating a more 3rd person game mode where you move with WASD
and attack/swing with a mouse click. Has anyone tried this and broke their game or had
success? What would all need to change? Any advice on this would be great!

So far it hasn’t been difficult except one issue with trying to make the attacks work. Setting the animation was easy but setting the target without just clicking on an enemy to set the ‘target’ is proving to be confusing. I’m wondering if the weapon itself will need to have a deal damage script based upon an OnCollision update…

The entire game is primarily based around the point and click style…I’ve started regretting my attempt. Will update later when the sadness passes and I can make a decision of restarting or trying to pull out and remake the systems implemented. For some reason the game also saves without me hitting the S key now. Just saves whenever it wants to, with no regard to my wants or feelings on the matter.

Conversion to WASD is possible, but not the easiest thing to do. As you’ve already noted, one of the hardest issues is dealing with the fighter component. One solution is to find the enemies in range and select the closest one that the player is facing.

As always, I strongly recommend to any students undertaking this conversion to maintain a project using the course structure as well, and complete the RPG Core Combat course before starting the project with the WASD conversion. Keeping that project that follows the course struture will help you greatly in the subsequent courses.

I have done the RPG Core Combat course and the Inventory course and if the quest/dialogue course comes out tuesday, i’ll do that as well. I really like the courses. So far I think I’ve solved a lot of my fighter script issues but its a work in progress. I’ll post the steps i took when im done if i manage to get it complete though! Its slowly breaking everything but maybe it’ll come together in the end lol

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms