Change Sorting Method

After seeing that the transform sort lets me place the game objects in the order I want to view them, my thinking was to leave it on transform. However, that also appears to be the normal behavior within the hierarchy with ‘Alpha Numeric Sorting’ unchecked. It would seem that the transform sort feature is a redundant feature unless I am missing something.

Hmm. Perhaps you’re right. Does transform sorting perhasp disable alphanumeric as an option?

My understanding is that alphanumeric sorting unchecked in preferences
places alphanumeric in a disabled state and transform sort is not visible.
When checked is the first time we can see the transform sort option, plus
alphanumeric.

So, it would seem that with with alphanumeric unchecked (disabled) the
sorting behavior is the same as if I had alphanumeric checked, and
transform sort selected. If we are gaining new functionality then I’m
missing it. It appears that the transform sort does precisely the same
thing as the normal default behavior.

Looking through the Unity docs, I found it is indeed the default behavior. I’m wondering if they forgot to remove the transform sort after classifying BaseHierarchySort obsolete.

TransformSort
class in UnityEditor/Inherits from: BaseHierarchySort

Description

Is the default sorting method used by the hierarchy.

Ah, quite possibly. Where abouts do I mention that in the videos? I will make a patch.

I’m not sure just where that was, unfortunately up until today I’ve had to download the courses using a 3rd party app to get it on my PC. As a result, videos all over the place and very hard to follow the flow of the course :slight_smile: However, just bought an iPad and downloading all the content now for offline viewing so that should make it a lot easier.

Just my 2 cents, I really don’t think your video needs editing. The feature does exist in Unity and I was just wondering if the Unity team had either overlooked the removal, or figured it was harmless to leave it in. Seeing it in your video was great because it forced me to think about it and do some digging. Since the overall objective is to learn Unity, it’s all positive.

Cool. Well, I’m glad you are enjoying the course and now even better that you don’t have to download on the PC. If only Udemy would make a client for PC.

That would be helpful. On the iPad and everything works. :grinning:

To my understanding, with "Alpha Numeric Sorting"checked, I’m able to select an option which organizes my Hierarchy list in alphabetical order, as opposed to having it ordered by my own way.

It would be great if there were more options other than Alphabetical, such as “number of children”, or “number of edits” or something along those lines.

Hi, I m Aakash. I have done the section of Change Sorting method and it has 2 methods named as Alphabetical and tranformation.

From the video it can possibly imply that putting it into alphanumeric sort means that your attempt to change the order of items by dragging and dropping has no affect.

This is only true visually, behind the scenes it is still dropping things as the next sibling of the item above where you place it in Transform (not using an example of nested objects here, just all top level ones both before and after any changes).

For example, in Transform sort I have:

Tree
Camera
Player

If I switch to alphanumeric sort, it will show:

Camera
Player
Tree

Now if I try and rearrange them by dragging Player to below Tree, it appears nothing happens. It still shows this:

Camera
Player
Tree

Now switch back to Transform sort, and you’ll see this ordering:

Tree
Player
Camera

Probably has no bearing on certification but it did feel that this was assumed (or rather simplified) in the video, so I double-checked to see if it could result in perhaps some undesired changes to the hierarchy order.

Privacy & Terms