Career and c# and or Unity, is it realistic?

Hello ! I had some struggles last year with illness amongst things last year, this is when I started the course. But I could not finish it. So I start now. The reason why I chose this coursebefore is to learn a bit of code in a fun way. And learn to make my own games to of course which is a dream (I love gamification).

Is it realistic for me to learn Unity or should I focus on one part like just c# after finishing this course. I would love to gain experience via a company. And of course does not have to be in the gaming industry.

I am not the youngest, and I need to hurry a bit to make progress. So what would be the best direction to go after this course ? Should I keep this as a hobby for now while I focus on c#? Or perhaps becoming a tutor ( I used to teach networking in IT) in this topic is more realistic later ? (And fun)

Not sure if I could ask this question here, but I thought I will try to ask. Apologies if it is not something to ask here.

It’s really up to you, as only you know what you want to do.
I’d say that if you’re genuinely passionate and dedicated then you can make pretty much anything work for you.

Unity is becoming more widely adopted in the industry. If you were looking to work for a major studio then Unreal and C++ is still king, but Unity has definitely gained a lot of ground over recent years. Unity is generally a favorite among indies and small teams.

Unity (and Unreal) has also branched out into industries outside of gaming, so you may be able to find a job in another sector but still get to play with Unity.

If you want to stay in games then I’d definitely recommend sticking with an engine, but maybe try a few of the others to see which one you prefer working with.
When it comes to coding, the more you know the better. I quite like codeingame.com for refining my C# skills outside of Unity, but is still very much focused around games.

Rick’s How to get a job in the video game industry is a good course for giving you ideas on how to build your portfolio and get things like you LinkedIn page up to scratch.

One thing I will say though is that making games as an indie is a tough business, so you’ll need to supplement your income if you need something coming in each month.
Freelancing, training, selling assets, etc. are all viable ways to do this whilst you work on your games. Or you could get a job in a studio and work on your own projects in your free time (if your contract allows it).

The key thing is that if you don’t try then it’ll never happen. If you do then you may fail, but if you work hard enough then it’s definitely possible to make it work. Just know going in what the risks are and make sure that you’re happy to take them.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks for turning me on to codeingame.com. I had never heard of it before, and it’s a pretty neat tool!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms