Can't scale pyramid railing edges along Y axis

I’m trying to scale the railing edges along the Y axis on the pyramid to move them away from the center of the incline and into the proper position for the railing. However, unlike in the lecture video, I can’t scale them along the Y axis. I can scale them along X and Z, but when I try to scale them along Y, they don’t move at all.

Here’s a video showing the issue:

Anyone know if this is due to a change in the newest Blender version (I’m using 2.83) or if I’m simply doing something wrong?

Thanks

1 Like

Did you make sure you only have the ramp edges selected and not all the way round under the base and on?

You also have snapping on. At that distance, big grid only showing, it may be that one grid snap is further out than the edge of the ramp, so it has nowhere to move to. (Or hold down Ctrl while sliding with snapping on, it turns it off for that action, lol)

Switch off snapping and try again. On the whole, it should be off unless you specifically need it.

1 Like

I had Edge snapping on but only for Move, not for Scale.

I had only the ramp edges selected.

I loaded a save from before that point and retraced the steps up to there to try it again, but didn’t run into the issue. I turned on the same snapping as before. No issue scaling it. I’m not sure what was causing it. I ended up just moving those edges the same amount to either side.

Thanks for the tips though.

I think it was your pivot point. Looks like you had it set to “individual origins”, so each edge group was trying to scale itself individually in the y direction, but since each was totally flat in that dimension, it didn’t have anything to scale. “Median Point” is the pivot point you want in that situation, so that they’ll scale by moving away from each other.

1 Like

Thanks, that was the issue. Changed it between Individual Origins and Median Point and it behaved exactly as in the video on Individual Origins, then worked properly with Median Point.

1 Like

Awesome glad it worked! 95% of the time if something is off with my rotating/scaling/moving it’s because of the pivot point or orientation (global, local, normal, etc.), so I always check those.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms