C++ Game From Scratch

Hello, I’ve watched the Unity Developer courses and while I do enjoy them, I would still rather make a game from scratch in C++ which will obviously need a game engine. I enjoy coding and I’ve dedicated loads of hours/months of my life to coding in C++. If we can make this possible, I would be really happy and other people would too because I’m not the only one looking for something like this. Thank you for reading, have a great day/afternoon/night :slight_smile:

Hi, I am not quite get understand what your exactly meaning here.

If you want to build a game from scratch in C++ without using any existing game engine, in another word, the first part of work is to build an own game engine. Someone have been discussed about a course for creating game engine for a while. You may check this post: Build your Own Game Engine!

If you want to developed a game by using an existing game engine, but programming in C++ rather than C#. You can take a look at Unreal 4 game engine, which can implement game logic in C++, alternatively, by using Blueprint(BP), which is a kind of visual programming language. Since lots of people prefer to using blue print rather than C++, most of Unreal courses focus on BP rather than C++, so you have to pay attention to choose a suitable course for what you want to learn.

I hope this can do little of help.

Yea, basically what I’m saying is that I want to make a game from scratch which will need a game engine which I want to also make from scratch all in C++. I was thinking of buying the one in Unreal Engine but I’m only 14 and so have no money, my mum is struggling also because my step dad stole 11k and left. I might buy it at Christmas or when, I can’t refund the Unity course for this one either because it expired. But I hope this can be a course, thanks :slight_smile:

Hi, sorry to hear about difficult of your family, I wish everything go to better soon.

My suggestions for your situation are:

1. use free resource as much as possible, avoid the “cost” solution unless it is inevitable.
    You may search online for free learning resources as much as possible. For learning UE4, I do NOT think any paid Udemy course is necessary. It is just nice to have it if afford.
    You may start with the following free resources:
  1. You may continue to learn the Unity course you brought, and learn to code in C#, which is a great programming language and be treated more friendly and more productive (than C++) by lots (or “most”) of programmers. Both Unity and C# are powerful tools for game developers, it should not be a problem if you want to making game. In the end, it is better to focus on the target you want to achieve, rather than the tools you want to have.

I wish it can help. Please take care of yourself, help mum and to be a happy game developer, we are happy since we produce happiness for others. :rofl:

Really appreciate it :slight_smile: When I can get a good job, I’ll help my mum out for sure. Thank you so much, these tutorials are great and when I can, I’ll be sure to buy your course :slight_smile: Thanks again :slight_smile:

i’d recommend checking out handmade hero, he has a what 500+ part youtube series thats going through making a game from scratch, game engine and all

Making an engine Would be a huge undertaking. Unless you have an idea of what you need. It when you look at audio, graphics, scripting engine ect… that could take a long time. Not impossible. I followed a book back in the day for a directx engine. It the question now would be why. What does Unity/Unreal/Godot and many other engines have or not have to make the investment worth it. Imo

Privacy & Terms