Bull Cow IsIsogram returning false after character is not repeated

Hi.I am facing a problem in Bulls and Cows. What is happening is that when I don’t repeat the 1st character then my IsIsogram function is returning false and if I repeat the character then my function doesn’t returns false.

Here’s my IsIsogram functions code:

bool UBullCowCartridge::IsIsogram(FString Word) const

{

//    int32 Index = 0;

//    int32 Comparison = Index + 1;

for(int32 Index = 0, Comparison = Index + 1; Comparison < Word.Len(); Comparison++)

{

if(Word[Index] == Word[Comparison])

{   

return false;

} 

}

return true;

You only have a single loop so you’re only checking the first character.

e.g. If the HiddenWord = “plaan” your loop does the following.

p == l
p == a
p == a
p == n

The a is never checked against the other a.

Yeah but even if I repeat the 1st character the it doesn’t return false.

Could you show that?

Sure

When the 1st character is repeated:

When the 1st character is not repeated:

Could you show the code where you call IsIsogram?

void UBullCowCartridge::ProcessGuess(FString Guess)

{

if(Guess == HiddenWord) 

{

PrintLine(TEXT("Wow you guessed the word great!"));

EndGame();

return;

}

--Lives;

if(Lives <= 0)//Check if lives > 0

{

ClearScreen();

PrintLine(TEXT("Well Done!! You have lost the game."));

PrintLine(TEXT("The hidden word is: %s"), *HiddenWord);

EndGame();

return; 

}

// Remove Life

if(Guess.Len() != HiddenWord.Len()) //Check right Number of Characters

{

ClearScreen();

PrintLine(TEXT("You have lost a life.Lives = %i"), Lives);

PrintLine(TEXT("That ain't the word try again...    Can't belive you can't guess a simple word."));

PrintLine(TEXT("The letter is only %i characters long"), HiddenWord.Len());

return;

}

if(IsIsogram(Guess))                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

{                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

PrintLine(TEXT("There are no repeating letters"));                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

return;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

}

if (Guess != HiddenWord)                                                                                                                                                                              

{                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

PrintLine(TEXT("You have lost a life.Lives = %i"), Lives);                                                                                                                                                                                     

PrintLine(TEXT("That ain't the word try again...    Can't belive you can't guess a simple word."));                                                                                                                                                                                     

return;       

}

You used IsIsogram in this check. This is supposed to be checking for errors i.e. if it’s not an isogram you want to print a helpful message and return.

Thank you so much DanM for helping me solve this problem. Have a great day . :smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms