Building my own game just by this udemy course

Hii, I am Chirag. I recently enrolled for this course on Udemy. I am new to all of the unreal engine stuff and I am planning to build my own fps shooter within some years. Although I am confused that what all do we get with this course. I want to learn every nook and cranny of this software. But i want to know that how much will we be learning as the course shows only C++ so that means there will not be any blueprints classes. And also if we are learning C++ then how much of it will we be learning, just the basic or the whole codding language. And will this course be enough to build a full fleshed game like warzone ?

Hi Chirag, welcome!

This is my opinion based on my experience:

First, I think that learning every nook and cranny of Unreal takes years, and not only one or two, but a lot of them. When you begin, you only think about C++ or blueprints, but that is only the most obvious feature of making a game. I don’t want to demotivate you, but it is not a thing you can learn in one or two courses (not here, not anywhere) and if someone says you can I really think they are misleading you. Only learning C++ takes years.

But then, Unreal is not only C++ or blueprints. You will have to learn AI, materials, lights, cinemachine… Building a game like warzone needs artists, musicians, animators, game-designers…

Once said that, I began to learn Unreal a year ago and I am having a very good time doing so. It is special when you make your first game, when someone you don’t know plays and likes your game, and even when they gave you feedbacks about how to improve it. I also have to say Unreal seems to really want to make easier for solo or little teams to make really good games (Unreal 5, metahuman or Megascan)…

The C++ course (and the blueprint ones) are an introduction courses. They are very good if you are a beginner. The C++ course (the last chapter) introduces you to AI tree behaviour, and that is a really interesting and useful thing to learn. They also touch some blueprints in there, so you will see them.

I expect this helps you, but I have to say this is only my opinion. Good luck!

Thanks munsa for your reply, I am ready to give many years for leading ue4 it’s just that make a game like warzone is my final step. But I really need help that what all courses I should do till the very end, as you mentioned above there are many things sk can you suggest courses for these topics.

I would recommend beginning the C++ course and wait to buy new no-beginners courses. First, because when you begin, you will see yourself what do you need to learn: Do you have problems with coding and you need another course on that? Perhaps coding is easy for you but you don’t see how AI works?.. And second, UE5 is now not stable, but it will be in months time, so it would be better to see what courses are good then.

What I would do, in your case, is put aside the game you want to make and do the course. Try to do all the challenges and, if you can, change the games (even a little bit) to make it a little different from the instructor. Once you have the basics down, you can take apart the game you want to make and see what you need to learn: Do you need to learn terrain? Do you need to learn more AI? What assets do you need?..

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms