Building Escape - Problems Part 3

Hello all,

So, by now, you know about the problems with my computer and Unreal, that is:

• Shaders always needing to compile every time I open a project (3 weeks till I can buy a new PC)
  • and that the lighting will not work (need to take it to another computer - holds for a bit)

But now I having a few problems and hoping someone might be able to spread some light on.

Problem #1:
Now, I have always used the starter content when starting a new project so I have some materials/props to play with, and because of this the new stage is always called:

Minimal_Default - this is despite the fact that I have called the “Level” - “Level1” and the 2nd Level “Level2” and appears that way in the “Content Browser”. Try as I might I cannot change the Level from “Minimal Default”, to anything else - not the problem. The problem is that sometimes I have had to go back and look at “Level1” aka “Minimal_Default” to look at what I had done, and, what happens is that ALL the textures in Level1 (Minimal_Default) get a great big fat “Preview” plastered all over them every single one. So, is this functioning correctly?

Problem #2:
Then when I try to go back to “Level2” aka “Minimal_Default” (fun) then the only things that turns up is a single mesh when I first created the stage. The only way to get the stage to load up correctly is to exit out of Unreal (and then wait for my over 2.8K shaders to compile again). Is “Level2” aka “Minimal_Default” supposed to load up correctly? Or is this a problem with Unreal.

Problem #3
The level of “Level2” aka “Minimal_Default” is getting quite large now with a store bought asset and now I am starting to get a fair few “Preview” appearing on the assets. Again is this recognised behaviour?

Any help on what is occurring would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou and Regards.

I did ask if you had any antivirus or other similar program that could be deleting the compiled shaders, right?

Are you sure you changed the right setting?

From what you have said those would be different levels. Or am I misunderstanding?

You are most likely talking about this "Preview" visible when adding lights and Materials - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums

So to answer the question, yes.

Now I’m more confused. Both Level1 and Level2 are “Minimal_Default”?

I don’t think I understand the problem you are describing. Could you elaborate?

You most likely have preview lighting so yes, the thread talks about disabling that preview text.

This is definitely a problem with my computer it was discussed at length with @beegeedee, same with the lighting, any version control system, and for that matter video editing. Must wait until Dec 13 until I can go into stores - getting close now! The only that seems to work correctly is Pro Tools which is what I bought the system for.

Yes, two different level. Level1 and Level2 are both known by Minimal_Default

When I use the Content Browser to change levels it goes to Level1 properly - albeit with the word “preview” plastered everywhere (at least I know why know no lighting), but, then if I switch to back to Level2 through the Content Browser I get a single solitary mesh when I first created and saved the level. The fully fleshed out level with a room leading onto two dungeon levels with a series of doors and a number of objects to pick up and move to the Volume triggers is gone. The only way to get it back is to close down Unreal and start it up again with 2.9k of shaders to compile again. I don’t want to play around too much with the settings in case I lose the level I worked hard and spent money on - I don’t have version control and I don’t want a repeat of the Unity episode where I lost a 2D game I had worked months on.

Now, I have to go and start Unreal again :frowning_face:.

I think I may have solved the problem by saving it again and getting rid of the name “Minimal_Default”. I have to restart Unreal a number of times to see if it’s held and haven’t lost everything then change levels. So, the next hour is a write-off!

Looks like it didn’t work it went back to the name “Minimal Default”. Now I’ll go and change the map in the project setting and see if that makes a difference!

Seems I now have 2 maps named Level2 went with the one with today’s date for modification.

Now it looks like I have now lost “Level1”. It no longer appear in the Maps directory in the content directory :frowning_face:. aaarrrrgggghhhhhh

So this is a little confusing to me. Could you show screenshots?

This sounds like you have made levels within Minimal_Default instead of having Level1 and Level2 being their own independent maps.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms