Bowling Pin looks like it has texture applied (but it hasn't)

I’m following allong with lection 49 and noticed (even before applying the materials) that my pin appears as if it has a texture already applied. It looks to me as if the reference image has been somehow used on the object mesh.

But, I didn’t do it. And if I check if it has any textures, there are none:

(image also shows the materials applied, but you notice that there are other “things” on the object)

The pin also looks like this in solid mode, look dev or even when rendering it out.

I thought maybe it helps if I delete the reference image, but no - nothing changed.

Any ideas what this could be?

1 Like

Not seen that before, we need to see the shading tab view to see the nodes I think.

General Q&A note
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also include the lecture time that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side. On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups where they help.

1 Like

We need to see the material nodes.
Your brush panel has nothing to do with it.
It is empty and used for sculpting and or texture painting.

Did you use node wranger accidentally?

ok, found out what it was. It had nothing to do with nodes.

I noticed the issue occurs only when “Shade Smooth” was activated.

I then found a site where a user had the same issue when activating “Shade Smooth” and someone suggested that it was an issue with Normals.

So I checked and as you can see, there were indeed issues with Normals:

So I selected everything and could fix it with SHIFT+N:

3 Likes

Well spotted always a worthwhile thing to check.

1 Like

Ahh, now I see it too in your original message.
I was thrown off, because of your mention of the words ‘texture’ and ‘material’.
If you used a different view, then it was easier to spot, that problem with normals.

Great problem-solving thinking!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms