Bowling Ball

Had a few issues getting this to the right level of detail but I think it’s alright. Though the little ledges around the finger holes aren’t fantastic. I know that in the videos it was mentioned that low poly models with smooth on can have some artifacts when you apply certain tools so I’m not sure what the issue is here. Maybe this is expected. (included wireframe below as well)

Though, I think I may have gone overboard. To get the right level of quality throughout these past few courses I did use different tools to get it right, and ended up with 36k vertices. The quality on the render is set to 3. If i lower it to 2 it goes below 10k but just doesn’t feel right.

1 Like

No I think you went just the right amount of overboard. By doing that with this simple object it prepares you for when you start making really complex models.

The yellow edges around the hole, creates a single face with more then four vertices. Which is a bad thing.
The face is not filled, as you may think !!
The face covers also, the purple triangle part (see bottom right). creating strange artifacts.

Try to create face with four vertices as in a rectangle (square).

In your case an easy fix is to select the two vertices (marked blue) in edit mode.
And press j, it will split the face into two using a additional edge.

1 Like

Oh wow, thank you for explaining this! I followed through those steps and it does resolve a lot of the strange visuals I was seeing.

So when creating faces on objects like this is it always best to create the face with the four vertices as you mentioned? Or is this a case by case decision?

Case by case. It is very handy to have quad faces (four vertices). Because then you can easily add loops. Important for detailing organic models, like faces. But triangles are also good. Every 3D engine converts faces to triangles, before rendering.

But if you have a face with more than three vertices. Beware of the problem, that one vertices inside the facial area, can lead to this kind of artifacts.

I always look for a circle type of behavior for vertices in a single face. When having a dent a problem may (not always) occurr. It depends of the centre of a face.

But don’t worry to much, about this. You will learn. It happens mostly when you use the boolean modifier!!
Which really needs more explanation in good usage, than explained in this course.

Happy rendering.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms