Blocked out blocks (Mole Rat)

Cubed blocks blocked out:

Work to do on the rear-view still… will clean it up once we Dyntopo.

A frustration I found:
Center parts require X symmetry enabled but the arms and legs do not, so as you switch between the two, you often forget to enable/disable the mirroring and it’s often a bunch of strokes in before you realize you’ve messed up, and then you need to guess where in the undo stack you made the error. :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

nice blockout!, regarding the symmetry… if they are still different objects, could you not just move the origin points to the center of scene for the arms and legs so that symmetry doesn’t work on both sides of one arm/leg as I’m guessing is happening with you? And instead symmeterizes across the global x axis.

1 Like

Good suggestion.Thanks.

This worked: Select all limb objects and apply all transforms (Ctrl A->A)… This will put the origin at (0,0,0). Then you can keep X symmetry on and carry on sculpting without worry. If that was covered in the lectures, then my bad for missing that.

Np man, glad I was able to help as I had similar issues and know how annoying it can be.

Looking forward to seeing more of this mole-rat miner!

Found a couple of sneaky asymmetries and had to fix them in Edit Mode with Mesh->Symmetrize.
Looking less janky and feeling better about moving on to the dyntopo stuff.

1 Like

I would start building a symmetry model.
At the moment of the higher details, I would add an armature.
And then start modeling the pose.
It gives more flexibility I think. Even more when you want to re-use the model in other project.

I saw a video of a professional artist, working on dinosaurs in movies.
Using this technique of sculpting symmetrical reptiles. And posing them, using bones, in different actions.

With 2.8# there is also a new pose sculpt tool.
Not sure it will be explained in the character course.

Nice project.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms