Blender Sculpt

So, Just discovered blender sculpt!!! I may have to switch back to 2.79… I currently have the blender class… Should I finish the course in 2.79? Anywho Id really like to make this into a normal map and make it into a game asset… any advice would be awesome… cheers, E

9 Likes

First, this looks awesome!

About making a normal out of this. Well… If you made this out of pure sculpting after applying some subsurf probably you’ll have to retopologize…

Now, if you used Multires or kept a lowpoly version of this would be much easier :smile:

About version, I’m sticking with 2.79 for now because looks like 2.8 is crashing a lot yet, but to render and test materials is much faster with Eevee.

1 Like

Blender 2.8 is more difficult, then 2.79. I miss funktions like the fly mode and many others. I have to learn a lot of things new and it is not so stable. Eevee is interesting. I have the same question as you: Should I continue with the old lessons or wait to watch them in 2.8? Is it a waste of time to spend any minute on Blender 2.79? I don´t know what the best solution is. I hate Blender 2.8, but I give it a go. When we stay on track, we will make good results in Blender 2.8, too.

1 Like

Actually @Jada , the “Fly mode” it’s there as is the Walk Mode (this is the one we use when pressing Shift+F in 2.79), the thing is they are hidden and no shortcuts are set for them! Beats me why!

I don’t hate 2.8 it’s just different, but I just hate that they changed fundamental shortcuts and tools, like H which you have to double tap do unhide, Z is not pure wireframe anymore, Set Origin is also not set to Ctrl+Shift+Alt+C, Object Smooth/Flat is also in another place hidden in a sub menu… Thank god Ctrl+R is still Create Edge Loop lol

Pretty much everything that the shortcuts are not the same or you can’t find in the menus, you have to search with “Search” :stuck_out_tongue:
But hopefully someone will upload a configuration file with the old shortcuts already set :smiley:

Btw @Erik_Flood found a good quick video on retopology if helps…

2 Likes

I have found a solution for the fly mode last night, Capa and maybe it is interesting for you too.

View > Navigation > RMB on Fly mode > then assign Shortcut.

I have chosen shift + F as usual and everything is wonderful. That made me very happy and I like 2.8 since that a little bit more. :wink:

1 Like

Maybe you should Set Shift+F to Walk instead of Fly.
Fly is like you are navigating with an emulated gamepad with a deadzone in the center of the screen.

Walk (which is the native Shift+F in 2.79) is WASD and looking with the mouse is like any computer game. Despite the name, you also “fly” with Walk and have the ability to really walk on the surface of the objects.

1 Like

I just started messing around with 2.8 this morning, and discovered another alternative (slightly less convenient than a hotkey assignment, but still useful). It’s the “add to Favorites” function. Right-click on any menu item to bring up the option to add that menu item to your Favorites. Then press Q to bring up a dropdown menu in the window that lets you access this list of favorites. This saves mousing around to the menu option since the dropdown appears right underneath your mouse cursor. Also, it’s context-dependent, so you get a different dropdown depending on the mode (Object Mode, Edit Mode, etc.) that you are in.

3 Likes

Very well explained, Capa, thank you.

Just wanted to say job well done! That looks very slick.

Shift and Tilde key is now the walk mode.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms