Big VR Hello Thread

Introduce yourself, tell us a bit about yourself. What brought you here? What do you hope to achieve with VR?

1 Like

I only own a Firefly Google Cardboard device but will hopefully own a Vive one day.

Simple goals of making VR games for myself and my kids :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome. Welcome to the course @noise. Hope your kids get to enjoy your games soon!

I picked up a Cardboard a while back, and getting a GearVR soon. Iā€™ve been following VR tech for a while, because Iā€™m a big flight sim fan and the tech is ideal for seated, immersive simulation (the great reception to Eve: Valkyrie on Oculus is a perfect example).

Iā€™ve also found a lot of interest from the kids in VR at CoderDojo, and given how relatively easy it is to develop for Cardboard, will be using them more and more in the sessions.

Hi,
I just graduated with a degree in Computer Science, and am looking to strengthen my skills as I look for jobs in the video game industry. Skill with Unity is something Iā€™ve seen a number of job ask for, so Iā€™d like to familiarize myself with it.

I just joined the course after demoing games on the HTC Vive. Iā€™ve taken a few game design courses through Udemy and am here representing the FGCU game design club. Born and raised in Orlando where Iā€™ll likely go job hunting to be an associate producer/project manager at EA, Iron Galaxy, N-Space, etc. My goal is to have completed the course and have a complete original prototype by the end of summer (Sept).

Looking forward to embarking on this journey with you all!

Welcome Mark!

Hi folks.
My name is Dan, and Iā€™m a freelance software developer.

Iā€™ve been programming since I was 13 (Iā€™m now 33) and Iā€™ve had an interest in VR ever since I tried one of the early 90ā€™s headsets all those years ago. After having bought my HTC Vive and Gear VR Iā€™ve now got my heart firmly set on VR development moving forward. The Vive is a dream come true for my inner child, and as strange as it may sound, I could have cried the first time I fired up titles like ā€œThe Bluā€. I was absolutely blown away by the tech.

With me being a freelance dev working on several projects simultaneously, I find thereā€™s very little time left in the day to sift through the myriad of poorly-written online tutorials. So having previously enrolled in Benā€™s Unity course I figured that this VR course would be worth a go. Hopefully itā€™ll be enough to help point me in the right direction going forward.

Fingers crossed it wont be too difficult in transposing the Rift portions of the course over to the Vive - At least itā€™ll be a valuable learning experience :slight_smile:

Cheers,
-Dan.

2 Likes

I got to try the HTC Vive and I was A.M.A.Z.E.D!!! I think this whole VR thing is going to be massive! So I thought I should learn a bit about developing for it. Iā€™m 18, working for a forward thinking audio visual company thatā€™s keen to get into VR, and Iā€™ll be heading to University in September.

1 Like

Hey everybody.

Iā€™ve been a software developer for a healthcare company for the last few years, and Iā€™ve always been interested in video games, and game design. I love creative fields, and I just had to get into this.

A friend of mine (bass player in my band to be specific) has an oculus, and is just nuts about it. I have a galaxy s7, and he kept bugging me about getting the gear vr. When I finally took his advice, it was only a couple of days until I ordered an HTC Vive. This is just some incredible tech.

Looking forward to getting my game dev on!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms