Beginning questions

Just starting the course.
I have UE4 installed already but not Visual Studio. When installing VS19 and selecting the dependancies to download, it doesnt allow a way i can see, to select a directory to an existing UE4 folder.

• Is it best to uninstall UE4 & install it within VS19?
  • Is there a way to not redownload UE4 and just install VS19 & just donwload the depandant file seperately?
  • Can I place UE4 and assets on 1 hdd and have VS19 on another, or need to be on same HDD? Or VS just need to be on C drive?
  • Course mentions to use UE 4.19. Saw that course is getting updated though. So how will I know which parts are current & not?
  • Will the parts that are different between the versions be discussed on the relevant sections?
  • Will there be a list of all the differences at the end of the course?
  • Prehaps the tutorials/examples have code versions for each UE4 version?

You shouldn’t do that. They are separate things and you shouldn’t lump them together like you’re suggesting.

You can keep Unreal installed.

I think you misunderstood the option, the option is to install the Epic Games launcher. If it’s already installed then it’s not going to redownload it but it will install all the needed dependencies for it

You can install either to any drive.

The sections are marked as such.

There are annotations for the majority of things.

No.

They do not.

@DanM
Thanks, really appreciate the breakdown :slight_smile:

Heard there are a few directories that can fill up with tempory files.
Is it ok to delete everything in the following on Win 8.1:

• C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\UnrealEngine\Common\DerivedDataCache
  • C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\EpicGamesLauncher\Saved\webcache\Cache
  • C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\EpicGamesLauncher\Saved\webcache\Service Worker\CacheStorage

In ini files within
C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\EpicGamesLauncher\Saved\Config\Windows
I changed DefaultAppInstalLocation & CreatedProjectPaths to the U drive, but have found although Ive moved some of the games folders over, they say “Install” in the Launcher.
Clicking install does allready point to the now correct directory, but says “this folder need to be empty”.
Where would I find files that indicate each games individual directory, as changing the default hasnt repointed to where they are (or atleast not being rediscovered)

Lastly saw new revision of the course showing now updated to 4.22.
Avoid 4.24 or course backwards compatible?

Thanks for your time. Looking forward to the course!

Why do you want to delete them? They’re cache

Not sure what you mean by this.

So ive had UE4 installed for years, but have only really dabled with messing about or tutorials occationally. Im basically starting from scratch anyway, so theres nothing Ive done that needs keeping.
So when I see its built up over 2GB insize when Ive not really done anything, I assume its just temp files?

Ive bought a new 1TB ssd (U:/) and want to start fresh and have the course/future projects all together on same drive, so can fully see what is taking up space + not accidently delete anything needed for any creations.

So far ive taken what was in the UE4 folder on C, such as the engine files (22gb), Unreal Tournament and Dev kit, & a couple other games and put them also on the U drive, so that I dont have to redownload so much, if i was to uninstall from C drive and install to U drive.
I havent uninstalled UE4 from the C drive yet, but updated the defualt paths in Setting to the new U drive (where the games/engine has already been placed in) but in UE Launchers Library list, instead of being set as installed, its obviously not finding the files in new location on new drive.
So is there a modifiable txt file somewhere where i can repoint the path to the new location?
Because the ini files ive modified to point to the new path (listed in previous post) have not changed this.

They’re cached files. They would just be redownloaded again if and when they’re needed.

By that you mean Unreal Tournament? I don’t think there’s an editable file you can modify but after a quick Google apparently there’s a workaround (though using Fortnite but should work with any game)

Privacy & Terms