Be the first to post for 'Simplifying Our Project'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

First off.

DO NOT close unreal after doing this section. I did and found the below issues.

Opening the project by the uproject file results in it locking up into no response.
Rebuilding the Visual studio files didnt work either.
Goodness knows why or how this worked but i had to open it with uproject and let it sit and hang, Open the epic launcher and open the project that way and it gave the error and opened the project. I had to then end task the other editor that was hanging.

Now what causes this?
I noticed just before the editor closed that although i had changed the folders and redirectors fixed up (I did a source control after every single change) that when content was selected it showed “Player” folder in left panel BUT on the right panel it still showed the old FirstPerson folder.

I’m not sure if this is a problem my end but my advice is DONT CLOSE THE EDITOR!

Hopefully someone can help with this as i am reluctant to move on in case it causes an issue again

Edit :- Github repo - https://github.com/UnrealJelly/S05TestingGrounds

I think this may just be me being daft as all the references to the errors are the CPP files.
As they havent been edited to reflect the changes it will not find them.
However i left the post as i think its a heads up to people that get into my position and panic.

I have to head out but i am assuming the next section will resolve this and if you had the editor closed it will open after doing the next section. (I hope) I’ll try and confirm this either later this afternoon or evening (UK time).

I appreciate the list you put up Ben, I’ve heard in the forums some have had trouble following Sam.
I just wanted to personally add that wasn’t the case for myself

1 Like

How do I resolve this issue? my files came back so when I fixed it up now it works but my game crashes and I get the same message you were getting

I think i ended up restarting as my project was in such a mess after i had played around with github etc.
The CDO errors are literally the changes you need to make in the C++ files to find the new locations and then right click the uproject and rebuild the visual studio files.
I imagine you have some conflictions still in the fiule structor but the best person to help here would be @DanM :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure it gets sorted in the c++ video after this one however my worry is whenever I commit my work and stage files for some reason they reappear within Unreal Engine? @DanM

What reappears exactly?

The old files I deleted and everything that was originally in them which I either deleted or moved to a new folder eg. the map reappears in it’s original folder I deleted yet I still have the new map copy in my level folder

Did you delete them on disk too and then regenerate project files?

I definitely deleted them off disk well at the very least the ones that didn’t delete themselves after removal in UE4, however I’m 90% sure I regenerated the project files so I’m just worried of redoing it and having to waste another 20 minutes deleting them all again

Why would it take 20 mins to delete unwanted files on disk then regenerate project files? :confused:

I don’t see how it would but moving everything, creating new folders, removing things and making sure they’re not referenced anywhere else can take a while if you don’t do it often such as myself

This was certainly a marathon. Took me 5 hours, and the manikin is now a very dark grey.

There simply has to be a better way to reference things in CPP than hard coding a directory location into a static Fstring…

Hello Dan
I am in Lecture 274 and Refactoring LFS
I split my folders in DYNAMIC and STATIC parts as Sam did and delete unwanted empty folders I did the same in CD. but when I open Unreal Editor again, delete unwanted folder was returned with content and now I have duplicate folders.
this is more complicate, some unwanted files is depend on DYNAMIC and STATIC files.
and now I am afraid if I force delete unwanted folders and files, then regenerated project it may be crashed !!!
can you advise me something ??

Are you using SourceTree? And did you commit the changes? Because SourceTree pulls from the remote on start up.

Yes I have SourceTree and I did commit but I don’t push it because there is Authentication problem remote repository
if I force delete unwanted files and regenerate the project it will not be solution ?

No, because like I said SourceTree pulls from the remote when you open it. So you would be redownloading those files.

but this changes is not remote repository because I have not pushed it. GitHub commit is before LFS Refactoring
okay if force delete is not solution what can I do ?

Privacy & Terms