Be the first to post for 'Applying Transforms'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

Hello everyone! I had two questions regarding this section…

You guys mention that applying Transformations is important when you want your models/assets to be used in game-design AND animation. Though you guys explained how a game engine will see your model when you haven’t applied transformations, why is it important to apply them when wanting to animate something? Specifically if you’re animating IN Blender and not using a second program. Is it just good practice to do so? Or is there a specific reason?

(EDIT): I answered my own question for this one ^ :stuck_out_tongue:, I tried generating armature for a tree I made in the “sapling-add on” for Blender, and the armature generated at 0,0,0 while my tree was somewhere completely different and as a result the tree didn’t animate. I had to apply location, rotation, and scale first THEN generator the armature.

And secondly, when Micheal and Ben are discussing how one would create assets for the other to use in Unity, and how Micheal spent all this time trying to create the perfect high-definition pin just to realize it doesn’t quite work for Ben. What would be the best course of action after realizing that? Do you go back to the drawing board, discard those assets, and start from scratch trying to incorporate this “lean production” method, OR is it possible to fix those problems Ben experienced in his engine (in said engine or in Blender) WHILE keeping your high definition pin intact and just learn from your mistakes for the future?

I should have known this from other 3D programs, but it was not immediately clear to me that “Clearing” transformations only works if you have not “Applied” them first. The way the lecture was presented it sounded like they were reciprocal operations, one reversing the other. They are not. Once a transform has been applied, it’s applied. Clearing only works on transformations in the object mode that have not yet been applied. Same idea as when creating a new object, you can modify segments etc, but once you click away, that’s it. In other words, it’s kind of destructive editing. Not all 3D programs work like this so I thought I would just mention it. But I’m very glad we do have Undo (early versions of Blender did not even had that!) :wink:

Hello, lecture 37 without subtitles and i think its important lecture )
Sometimes its hard understand some moments from lecture, thanks.

Privacy & Terms