BackWards Bowling?

I ended up running before walking, or bowling before uh… well this one has pinned me down.

I did the smashing scene first for 3.54 when it called for a regular scene. So it would seem proper that for this lesson, instead of a smashing scene I should make my new scene a regular one.

Lessons Learned?

1. Move Origin Points:
Summary

This is my most useful mistake I have made thus far. I accidently figured out how to move the elusive origin point, the same that does not stay put because of my constant use of the editor mode. How to move it?
i. At the top-right of your viewport screen is the “option” menu.1Origin
ii. Click on it and choose “Origins”2Origin
iii. Now only your origins move. Pretty nifty.

1. Scenes: Very useful.
    Had I followed the sequence of instructions I can see how my comic strip project would have had a better and more efficient workflow. I made about 11 scenes, but I moved my objects around, took a picture, moved them again, etc. In the end the original setup was not available anymore, except, perhaps, if I restored my last session or reverted my project to original.

2. Double R: I cannot remember if he covered it before, but still good to know.

3. Follow Course Sequence.- you never know what sort of frustrating gutters and wrong turns into alleys you could have avoided simply by following the course layout.

EDIT: After having taken class 4.66, there is an even better way to move this using the contextual menu. Regardless, I found the Origin a good thing to move around due to the manipulation done in the Edit mode.

2 Likes

Yes No.4 is vital. Even if you want to go your own way, watch and do it the course way first without much variation. It has been laid out like the way it is not because you wanted to make a bowling scene, but as a device to show you how various tools and workflows function while retaining the interest and sense of purpose to an objective end result.

1, ii, iii, You can, never have. Origin points are too important to move randomly for me. There is usually a very specific place you want them that is most often found by the cursor being places there and the origin moved to it.

1 Like

Your bowling ball finger holes seem much too shallow, barely deep enough for finger tips?

1, ii, iii, You can, never have. Origin points are too important to move randomly for me. There is usually a very specific place you want them that is most often found by the cursor being places there and the origin moved to it.

I completely agree.

The reason, however, why I found this useful was because I tend to move my object around in the editor mode and my origin tends to get “lost” in the process. It is nice to know that there is a way to put it back in the center of the mass where it belongs. Otherwise when I try to do something in the object mode, suddenly it does something I did not want it to do, all because the origin was way off to the side somewhere.

@Josa_Booba

Your bowling ball finger holes seem much too shallow, barely deep enough for finger tips?

I decided to look into it, but I think it might be how it looks when rendering. It might be just how the area is shaded? Here is a pick showing its depth:

Its seems deep to me, but I could be wrong.

2 Likes

Ah yes, I see from your wireframe they are deep holes. It’s just the renders.

Something I think I remember seeing bowling balls having and included in my recent bowling ball thread, was a break in the hole colours - which I think also clearly indicates a depth to the holes.

https://community.gamedev.tv/t/yet-more-bloody-bowling-balls/165301

Although you could probably also add the illusion on depth with good use of shadow.

You could also select the inner-most section of the 3 holes and scale them up wider so they don’t taper in so gradually which is causing the lack of depth look.

1 Like

Since it is probably the rendering, widening the holes might be the first step. However, breaking up the colour, and/or making my values darker might be good to follow up on regardless.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms