Any Ideas RE fabric cover for Soyuz

Hi Guys im building a model of a Soyuz space craft. Will make the rocket launch pad and all and hope to make an animation of it launching into space and docking with the ISS. So its a big project that will need several large complex models.

The Soyuz is a pretty easy craft to model … The question I have is what would be the best way to make the fabric covering it has as depicted in the attached picture…I have some ideas using the cloth modifier or even manually modelling the fabric but just wanted to see what all of you think is the best way to make these fabric panels that are on much of the craft …
Thanks in advance for any ideas everyone has!

I would say this depends on the usage of the model. How up close you see it, like flying along the camera or just having it as part of the scene. I guess I would use textures and bump maps. With the right shader it will look great.
Or you can work with micro displacement and adaptive subdivisioning (experimental settings for cycles renderer). Then it would also look good up close.
The sculpting could as well come in handy since it might be easier getting the creases in the right places. But therefore I would use a more low poly kind of model and use the multires modifier, so you still have the clean mesh. Also you can disable it in the viewport so you see a simple mesh and won’t slow down your computer, while having a really nice rendering in the end. And of course you can deactivate it for rendering if you want a quick render for light setup, animation timing and so on.

Here’s a screenshot of a coffee bean I’ve been making with the multires modifier. Both the same model, only the right one with the modifier deactivated.

I would make the base mesh of the model first, then add a multiresolution modifier, sculpt the details of the fabric and then bake out the details from the multiresolution into a normal/bump map. If you mess up sculpting, in the multiresolution modifier, set the preview to 0, select delete higher and that’ll delete the previous sculpting that you had done. Here is a pretty good tutorial on baking out from the displacement modifier as well : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0FwsMkWm0k

Thank both of you very much for these ideas! I have been wrestling with how to handle this and do it right for a couple of days!

Stefan I didn’t know about micro displacement / adaptive subdivision …i heard of them mentioned before but now per your advice went and found blender gurus tutorial on it …amazing stuff …will really help with my modelling on this older computer…just awesome thanks so much for mentioning it here! I can’t wait to do some work with it and create amazing detail without slowing my comp to a halt!

Jarhead i am probably the worst person in the whole world at blender sculpting …i just don’t have a feel for it at all haha but i will play with it and the multires mod as you both mentioned…i will get there like i always do i just needed some ideas on how to make it happen as this one had me a bit stumped…i was doing stupid things like using the cloth modifier to drop a heavily subdivided plane on the hull and try and make the panels that way …was not going so well haha …thank you both for the ideas and advice…you guys rock! I will post the Soyuz when done its almost there apart from the cloth panels…pretty easy model.apart from all the fabric like panels…

Again thank you both!

It is a common texture, pretty sure you can find it fast in the internet, imo there is no reason to make the bump map yourself.

I would sculpt the bigger details though, such as where the cloth meets the metal, you can even leave it as real mesh or bump those details too and combine both bump maps

That’s what I’d do at least =x

(substance painter + designer would be an awesome software approach to make it look realistic :heart_eyes:)

The topology and the UV Map is a little mess since its just an exemple

For me, just off the top of my head, it would be easier to find a texture I like for the base, add it to the model, do some drawing work on it where you want the wrinkles, export the drawing and a UV Map, which I would then take to Photoshop and make my actual wrinkles/dents. I would probably create my normal maps for the wrinkles only in Photoshop while I was there. Then add the wrinkles and the normal map in Cycles on top the actual texture and it’s normal map. Should give you more versatility and make the wrinkles reusable without adding geometry to your final model.

But, you could also do Photoshop wizardry and add the wrinkles to the actual texture itself, add any ao/shadow, save it out as a single texture, create your normal map for that new texture, export all and apply through Cycles with bump mapping.

This might be difficult to see, but note texture for the siding and for the foundation. Two different textures with varying degrees of bump mapping for each texture. Might do what you are looking for.

Hope this makes since because is just off the top of my head and thinking about what I did to the Bates House. I don’t use substances painter or other products at this point just another frustrating thing I would have to learn :open_mouth: Some day maybe! :slight_smile:

1 Like

But there is no need to use substance in this case, I just copied the height map found online to the UV mesh and sculped the deeper details into the mesh before doing that, nothing hard to do in blender.

Thank you Joao and Morgaine for even more ideas and ways to bring this together :slight_smile: you all are awesome! I can model just about anything but i am really far behind on texturing i just can’t seem to get the hang of it and get stuck on anything requiring texturing thats a bit more complex…making this will help me learn and get better at all of this …Im going to get down to it today and try each and every one of your suggestions…thank you very much for the help! this gamedev site and the people on it are just awesome!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms