About the GODOT category

The game engine you’ve been waiting for! Post here to discuss everything related to Godot, the free, fun and flexible open source engine!

I’ve never heard of GODOT, thought I joined the fb group, I’m excited to hear more :wink:

i heard about Godot from this community only, not before that. But the more I am learning about it, more excited I feel about it. I hope it will be a fun journey.

I’ve heard a lot about this engine, but have so far found very little in the way of tutorials or other teaching resources. Is this a course that is out now?

By looking at the Trello Board for this course it looks like it’s just halfway there. Hoping it will release soon.

Hi folks! Yann here (I mean, obviously it’s me, it’s my picture over there) - working hard on getting this course out and making it as awesome as it can be.

For those of you who’ve not tried Godot yet, it’s open source (not just free but FREE), pretty powerful and packs some lovely features. With the arrival of Godot 3.0 in December a bunch of really cool things were added, and we’re really excited to be bringing it to you.

Been doing a lot of reading and the engine looks like its very interesting. The fact that its open source is a huge plus as it means bugs can be picked up quicker and people are free to change it to fit their needs.

I understand its better to have a selection of engines/languages available to you but what, other than the open source nature of it, would you say makes it stand out more than the obvious other choices Unity, Unreal or GameMaker?

The reason I say excluding the fact its open source is because the majority of developers just want to make their game. While the option of changing the fundamentals of the engine is a great idea most will never make use of it.

Not trying to be negative just prompt a discussion. From my own point of view even if its feature set is behind the big engines the fact that I can run it on Linux and have a full opensource pipeline is great. It would be a long time before I could even consider changing/bug fixing the engine but it makes open sourcing my games so much easier.

Let me begin by stating for the record that Unreal, Unity and GameMaker are all fantastic engines that are great at what they do.

For me, it boils down to Godot being free, and not just free to download.

There’s a few things - one of the often overlooked implications of Open Source is that because the code is public, you own it. That means any changes you want to make require no licensing, but it also means that if the engine stops being supported, there’s no murky grey area if you want to keep using it. That’s not true in something like Unreal - if Epic decides to move to a new engine and stop supporting unreal 4 when you’re half way through your fancy multi year long game, you have some tricky problems to solve. Unreal is visible source (they’ll let you see it) but not open source.

The Open Source nature means that members of the community add really cool things to the engine which end up being part of the official release - for example, Godot 3.x has autotile built in, which is highly cool.

Beyond the open source, there’s things like Godot having dedicated 2D and 3D rendering, unlike Unity where 2D is really 3D locked in place. This and other optimizations make the actual engine tiny (26/27 Mb in total, I think?), which in turn makes it lightning fast.

There’s really cool features like the AnimationPlayer node being able to animate not just sprite frames and translations but function calls, collision, visibility, texture modulation and a huge range or other things. Oh, and a bone sprite system built in too, so you can rig a collection of sprites with bones and apply IK, or animate using spritesheets and the AnimationPlayer node, or use a series of single animation frames in the AnimatedSprite node.

The node and scene system is simple but immensely powerful too, much more so than it appears at first glance. And the Godot signal system is very easy to use and modify as needed.

GDScript itself is fast, powerful and simple. Because it’s built with game dev in mind, it only has game dev functionality. C++ and C# are full programming languages that have to be able to do more than make games, so there’s a lot there that we don’t really need as developers. However, if you love your static languages or really need that extra power or efficiency, C# (and with some tweaking C++) is there too.

I could go on, but really, Godot is (to me, at least), a joy to use. The documentation is built in and easy to access, the engine is itself a Godot game and can be modified with GDScript, there’s no need to compile anything…It’s free to download, free to own, free to modify, free to create, free to share, free to monetize.

What I loved about Godot was that it was so easy to start, for me.

GD Script was easy to learn the basics of, and the scenetree and node system really clicked for me, and made it easy to plan and think about the components of each part of your game and how to use, organize and join them to make whatever you want.

But to be sincere, I had no experience with Unreal, I had a little experience with game maker, and I used to be too intimidated by unity, but Godot was something really approachable, which made me fall in love with it really fast, specially since I am more focused on 2d games! (For now at least, Mike and the GameDev.tv blender course are making me consider 3d in new ways! I’m really loving to work on that course!)

I’m really looking forward to contributing to Godot engine. Although it will be a long time when I’ll be knowledgeable enough to do that. But my years of experience with Unity3D and the pace with which I’m learning Unreal tells me that time will come pretty soon. :nerd_face:

Just read the Rock Milk piece, they are very enthusiastic about Godot.

I just can’t see enough here to make me throw away years of Unity study and start again though.

Having to learn GDScript although it’s said to be simple, is not an attractive proposition for someone like me who is just getting to understand C#.

I would be interested to hear Ben / Rick / Nina’s considered opinions though.

I can totally understand your hesitation. I would suggest that you wouldn’t be throwing away your years of Unity study; there’s a lot of transferable knowledge. Likewise, GDScript shares quite a lot in common with C# (particularly in its syntax). That doesn’t mean Godot is going to be for everyone, but I suspect you’d find it a lot easier to apply your Unity and C# than you might think.

Plus coding in C# in Godot is totally doable.

That said, let’s see if @ben has anything for your specific concerns.

Hi @StandUp_Gamer, thanks for your feedback.

Please bear in mind that about 80% of what you’re learning when you learn C# is actually deeper than that. You’re learning to structure your projects, how computer code works, learning to think.

I’m confident a huge amount of what you’ve learned about Unity will transfer to Godot, and furthermore learning Godot will give you inspiration about different ways to do things in Unity.

That said, if you’re comfortable with Unity stick with it… all your choice.

Thanks again

Ben

Hello everyone, Ive been using Godot a little bit so far but thought this course would be great to improve my skills.