About 'Game States'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. What are states and what is a state machine.
  2. Creating decision points for the player.
  3. How to manage all of our states and conditions - scriptable objects.

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Understand our requirements regarding states and create your first state for your text adventure game.

(Unique Video Reference: 6_TX_CUD)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

You arrive home and notice the door is ajar. Did you forget to close the door all the way before heading to work? Upon entering, you notice your cat fluffy isn’t at the door waiting for his daily treat, which is strange because he never misses his treat. Maybe he’s went outside and into the yard, or maybe he’s asleep in his favorite box.

What will you do?

1. Look outside for Fluffy.
  2. Look inside of Fluffy’s favorite box.
1 Like

I couldn’t find the sub-forum for this lecture, so I’ll submit a reply here. I’ve also made a change in my story from the last challenge (found here). Instead of the player losing his/her memory, the monitors are broken and you need proof of a successful mission. When you exit the capsule (which happens to have crash-landed on the side of a cliff) it falls off and into the trees below. It becomes a race against time to get back to the time capsule before you get caught in the great extinction, as well.

“You awaken inside your crash-landed time capsule, dazed and not entirely certain of what had just happened.
The time and date monitor is broken and there are no windows to the outside. You’ve been tasked to bring back proof
of a successful time jump, and you can’t go back empty handed.”

Your choices:

1. Exit the capsule.
  2. Look around the capsule.

Write 2 - 3 sentences to start your game

Rubble falls all around you as you run through the corridors, A cloud of dust littered with falling rubble charges foward from the other direction
As the dust cloud aproaches a giant chunk of rubble punches a hole through the floor revealing a different softly lit room with just enough room to 
sqeeze through, but at the same time a rusty plant covered door comes into view with light peaking throuh the cracks.

What will you do?
What two choices can the player take?

Run for the door
Slide into the floor
1 Like

(Guys the story lines represents a street game from India. As people play BlackJack or
Rock-Paper-Scissor around in states, people in India play play this marble game, hide and seek and much more.)

Your hard work just got you into the D-league of marble game.
From Today you have have 10 days and 3 life lines to get into C-leauge.

If you lose more than 3 times or didn’t rank into top 2 within 10 days than you will be put into D-league again.
Collect all the different kind of marbles as they come with size, and power.
What will be your choice for today; will you play or will you rest?

What shold you do?

1. Go and play and try to achieve rank…
  2. Take rest for today, if you are feeling tired…

Your name is Tootaka. You are a fully developed prehistoric human - an hunter-gatherer.
You have been naturally chosen by your people to lead them.
You are responsible for making the decisions for the better of your people.
You and your people sleep in a cave that’s right next to a river.
It’s a very good place to stay at.

But you know that you can never feel too safe.

Curas (your friend) has told you of an agressive bear hanging around 500m of your cave to the west of the cave.

Your 2 choices:

1. Get your men prepared to hunt the bear, leaving the women and the babies with less protection.
  2. Stay with your people to hide in the cave, sending a patrol once in a while to check if the bear has gone yet

Another restless night because of your in pain from your newest augmentations in your ear. you hear something outside of your door.

The location your in is private property and it’s 3:00 in the morning.
What do you do?

1. Get up and open the door to see whats going on.
  2. Ignore it and try to get some sleep.

Your eyes flutter while you wake up with a sharp pain in your head, you look around to find that you’re in a very dark room with the smell of rot filling the air,
you see a plate which has what seems to be “food” on top, right next to it is a prison door, no windows to speak of,
“how does air get in here” you wondner, but then you realize. “how did i get here!” you panic, you try to stand up with difficulty at first but you manage it.
You hear loud shouting from outside your cell “BANG!” “what was that?! a gun shot?!” you rush to the door, you see a body that looks like it was dipped in blood
“a prison guard!” you whisper to your self, you see something shining from his pocket the keys! you reach for them unsure if they’re the correct ones for this door, you try the
first key then the second the third? fourth? at last the 9th opens the door.

you go outside.

i’m unsure about that last bit there but the rest is aight

this is really good.

You are having a cup of tea, suddenly a police officer calls you to inform about the gruesome murder.
The police officer informs that the murder was similar to the previous 3 murders which took place within the last two months. You reach the crime scene:

You have 2 choices:

1. Investigate the crime scene.
  2. Talk to the police officer.

Aftersince: The Sound of Dreams.

Game State

“Please help me! I cannot do this again, Ohhhh. N……
What was that sound? That foul smell? Why am I shivering?

You try to rub your face and force your eyes to open. A sudden fear crawls through your toes and rests on your forehead.

“Why can’t I feel my hands!” You begin breathing deeply, like a goat stuck in heavy mud. “Why can’t I sit up!” Where is everyone!

You scan the room with your loyal right eye. Wait a minute, did you just hear a snore? You try to call out but your voice won’t come out. Something deep tells you it’s not a good idea. I better get out of this place. Anything but stay on this bed. But….how?

1 Your roll off the bed.

2 You cry out for help.

Went a little overboard but here is what I got:

You are dreaming of a perfect world with the perfect life of comfort and relative safety.
You can hear the birds singing and the light breeze in the air, and you notice all it nice.
However, this illusion ends and you are back in the horrible world you call home. While never too hot or cold
it is a reality of never-ending fear and death. The only one you can trust is yourself and only yourself.
After you snap back to reality and realize you have to make a decision.
Kill this stranger or take a risk to gain a valuable ally.

In a moment you make up your mind: but what will it be?

1. You kill the stranger and find that they had no weapon but had strange writing on them
    a. You toss the writings disregarding them
    b. You keep the writings and try to figure them out
    i. you give up on figuring them out and toss them
    ii. you give up on figuring them out but save them for later
    iii. you figure them out and what they are for
  2. You spare the stranger and find out that they know how to build useful items and has recipes on them
    a. You take the recipes from them and tell them to leave
    b. You let them retain the recipes but have them make you something
    i. ask them to stay
    ii. ask them to leave
    c. You ask them to join you on your journey

Privacy & Terms