About 'Game State Story Design'!

It’s not finished yet, but it is what I could do in one day.

1 Like

Hello everybody! First time sharing on the community website.

Here is my flow diagram. Didn’t fill all the text yet because I plan to work on it a bit more and hopefully with knowledge from the next sections I’ll be able to add some images to the scenes! Thanks for fun content ) your lectures make me smile!
my-diagramm|690x386

It’s getting late so had to rush it at the end, not sure if it all adds up or makes sense but i’m pretty sure it all flows together.

1 Like

Not really confident about this, I feel like once you pick a choice you will get stuck in that particular part of the story. Tried sharing certain states with multiple routes but it didn’t work out so well. Also there might be some typos here and there, will be fixing those later on.

And apologies, the first state begins top right. I accidently made the diagram from right to left (oops).

1 Like

Hi!

This is my adventure! I enjoyed doing it, and I think it turned out pretty well.

1 Like

I tried to keep it simple but the story kinda grew. In the end, I just rushed because I didn’t want to waste too much time with it. It’s definitely the best activity so far though, I really enjoyed planning the story of the game.

I think that it could’ve been better, specially in the end, but this is it.

5 Likes

Inspired by Japanese TV documentary, from the diary of a man who survived from it despite of he was near its origin.

the file in draw.io

2 Likes

The making of this game was really fun, although it took me some time to really commit to it, haha. I generally laid out the structure of the game on a paper. Then proceeded to make some interesting story and remade the slides where it was needed. The story kinda grew as I was writing it, although I had a general idea in mind. It’s a fantasy story of a mage in a thief’s guild doing a burglary with his friend. As you can see it is divided into three sections as indicated by the yellow slides, I found it easier for the story to continue from one point only. I’m looking forward to the next coding sessions, this took me more time than it probably had to. :smile: Here are the pics:

2 Likes

Here is my completed story section, I am quite happy with the results. I’ll plug it into my program next and have a fully working game!

1 Like

Here’s my Crack at a text adventure game design.

1 Like

Ok, my first try at diagram flow. I will try to implement a health variable, so the player can die a “general” death when the health<=0. The power of flashlight also can die if the player use it too much…

1 Like

Hi, I’m Jarrod. Here is the start to my text adventure game flow chart. I didn’t finish it because I am eager to continue with the lessons.

1 Like

I plan on adding more details and branches when I have a bit more time, but the main aim with this was to create the basics a complete flow/loop with different choices, seeming choices that led to the same next state (but not too many), and a couple of different endings. I used a free programme called Twine, which was built, incidentally, for CYOAs, but happens to work for me for creating flowcharts and the like.

2 Likes

Here is the design for my story, Up at Night:

I planned to include in the story exploring the house, fighting the stranger in the kitchen, and a chase, but I want to focus on programming (And I really hate diagrams).

1 Like

Allright, here is my state story diagram. I think is too linear, but hope you like it.

Best regards!

Wow, so many great story webs here. Here’s mine! I plan on adding some basic booleans along the way to add some flavor, and so that the game can remember if the player picked up a key at some point in the level.

Can’t wait to turn this into the real deal!

I had a lot of fun thinking about where my game could go. :slight_smile: Hopefully i’ve worked out how to upload a pic of my flowchart for chapter 1.

To stop things branching out indefinitely, I tied a lot of scenario results together, but thinking ahead I was wondering whether we’d have a huge number of ‘state’ files, or whether we could code in static and conditional paragraphs. Like I could reach an outcrop of rocks through a chance find, or I can locate what I had seen from a distance, would this be 2 individual states, or could we add if (if else) statements to show us a different opening paragraph depending on how we got there, before going into our new scenario. Can’t wait to see what comes next, anyway.

there is my story state
I know it’s little lame and I didnt know how to end the second story :sweat_smile: but still I had alot of fun with this lesson and thats how we learn :grin:

Here’s my story about living the dog’s life!

Here is mine! A simple start to escaping the planet.

Privacy & Terms