About difference in scaling loopedge while mirror modifier applied to object

Hello, sorry first of all for my bad english I will try to explain the situation as better as I can. I am doing the Knight challenge and looking at Mike process I see that while he has the loop edge selected doing the head and neck of the horse he scale almost correctly it on both X and Y. While I doing it I find out that it scale my base neck in quite odd way. I add the images below for explain it:

This one is my original neck done with scale and extrude as did Mike, then if I want to make let’s say my neck little smaller I try to scale it but look at the image here it’s not quite good outcome.

After that I did try to change my pivot point to 3d cursor and scale the loop edge while keep Z locked and now the resoult is quite better as you can see.

Is that the right thing to do or I am doing something wrong ? Thank you.

1 Like

Yes, you’ve found a working solution!

If you have an object like a CUBE, then Blender will automatically calculate the center point.
The origin point, the point of the center of mass, your center for working with scall, etc.

The problem with the knight is the MIRROR modifier.
Only the halve of the object is known. and therefore also the different location of the origin point.
The same occurs when selecting a loop, like a half-circle.
The origin point doesn’t lie in the middle of the complete circle, but in the ‘middle’ of a half-circle.

The knight challenge is to use the 3D cursor as the temporally middle of the half circle, as the center point for scaling.

I hope this makes it more cleare for you.

1 Like

Thank you, and really happy to “guess” it before even search around, that become quite clear when getting middle point of the body of horse I seen it was not where I guessed it had to be. Thank you and well hope this little post help others too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms