A Warm Welcome to the GameDev.tv Community

Hello everyone, just bought the Unreal Engine tutorial from Udemy, currently focusing on making an FPS game. Keep on coding, brothers.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Ertur, looking forward to seeing the games you make :slight_smile:

1 Like

Greetings and salutations! I am Dyego Alehandro, Author (un)Extraordinaire! I have been hand-building computers and tearing apart OSes since 2001. Despite that fact, much like Terrafora, I have never been able to wrap my head around programmingā€¦despite so very, very many attempts.

I purchased the Complete C# Unity Developer course by Ben Tristem exactly two years and 1 day ago, and since then Iā€™ve also purchased the Blender, Unity Certified Developer, and just today the Unity RPG courses. And yet, somehow, this is my first day at this community and my first post. Yes, yes, the shame, the shame.

And, as if I havenā€™t rambled on enough already, I shall rattle off various probably-useless facts about myself in case anybody has gotten this far in my message. I turn 31 this coming April, I live in Phoenix AZ (and hate it here), Iā€™ve written / co-written / published 5 fiction books, Iā€™ve been ecstatically married to a geek girl for 10 years, I have far too many hobbies that include LEGO, board games, cooking, and Iā€™ve probably gone on long enough already.

I am sincerely hoping that by joining this community I am telling myself that this is it, itā€™s been long enough, I finally have to learn this programming stuff that Iā€™ve wanted to learn for so long. I have notebooks upon notebooks of game ideas stuffed in my closet, and it is now that I get to do something about them. Iā€™m excited!

3 Likes

Hey, everyone! Nice to meet you all.

Iā€™m Arjen, a game artist from the Netherlands.

During my graduation year, I picked up the Unity course on Udemy to help develop a small game for my final project. That worked out pretty well, because now Iā€™m a graduated professional! However, work is hard to find and Iā€™m looking to broaden my skillset further by also having a look at the Unreal course. Iā€™m not sure how much of what I make, Iā€™ll actually share on here, but I suppose weā€™ll see. Itā€™s great to see such a friendly and informative community!

4 Likes

Hi folks,
My names Tom, Iā€™ve been coding in C++ and C# for more than two decades now and am looking to the Unity, Unreal and Blender courses as a way of keeping coding alive and fun for me. Iā€™m a long time gamer, grew up with the ZX81 and distinctly remember reading the first edition of EDGE (to which I still subscribe). By day I work at Bloomberg, by night (daughters allowing) Iā€™m learning all this wonderful game tech.
Tom

3 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Leo,

Iā€™ve just joined the Blender course. I work as a freelance illustrator (2D), and have used Lightwave for the past 20+ years mainly at a hobby level. Iā€™m looking to move over to Blender for making game assets, as Iā€™m also enrolled on the Unity course. Everything Iā€™ve done in the past has been rather piecemeal learning and now with these courses Iā€™m looking forward to putting some of the pieces together to get a more comprehensive understanding and begin working through the mountain of ideas I want to see realised.

3 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m Lloyd from the North DFW in Texas, and Iā€™m new to coding and the Unreal Engine. Over the years Iā€™ve dabbled in the various iterations of the RPG Maker programs, with Game Maker Studio many years ago, and always wanted to really get into game development.

That brings us to now, where Iā€™m 27 and I donā€™t have many convenient excuses to not go ahead and start that path, especially when the course was on sale for 10 dollars. Iā€™m looking forward both to getting started learning coding, and to learning to work in the Unreal Engine and maybe making some serious headway on the road to that childhood dream of working on video games for a living.

2 Likes

Hey all.

Excited to be apart of this community!

A little bit about myself:
I am from the UK and studied Mathematics at University. During this time I tried some unity. Got quite far but was stopped by lack of graphics and came to a dead-end.
Skip forward a couple of years I am now working as a coder using c# most days and want to get back into using unity.

I have got the Complete C# Unity course and am hoping to join in with some collaborative work.

Looking forward to working with some of you :slight_smile:

Matt

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m Zul Aiman from Malaysia and currently taking Blender course. Iā€™m an university student taking ICT. Iā€™m totally a new guy in Blender and 3D modeling but very excited to learn and improve my skill on it. Glad to meet all of you.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
My name is Pablo and I am from Spain. I have been following some courses about videogames until I found these great community. I am currently taking Unity course, but I also have Blender, Unreal, VR and others.

I am enjoying my time with Unity a lot and improving my skills with programming. Nice to meet you all.

2 Likes

Hello Community!

Iā€™m Mike. Iā€™m currently serving in the U.S. Navy. Been in for about 10 years now. I enrolled with the Unreal Engine Developer Course. I have been teaching myself C++ for the past month now and have a big passion for games since I was 2 years old! I hope one day to be able to code and design my own games so Iā€™m learning as much as I possibly can each day while in the service and hopefully be able to professionally get involved with game development!

Iā€™m currently stationed in Virginia, but Iā€™ve been all over to include Japan and Italy. Well thatā€™s all I have for now, hereā€™s to a good time learning to develop games with a great community!

2 Likes

(tl;dr for the disinterested: Hi, Iā€™m Samuel.)

The bulk of my experience is as an a capella musician. Back in 2007, I had the opportunity to sing with a barbershop group out of California called Westminster Chorus International Performance where we became the Barbershop Harmony Society International Chorus Champions.
About a year ago, I started a youtube channel Brevitiusā€™ Gaming Channel to cover mostly indie gaming and it was a great learning experience. Family life and a change of work schedule made it impractical to continue, but itā€™s certainly something I enjoyed a great deal.
Through my social networking I met other youtubers and a couple of game devs who were very supportive. I tried my hand at pixel art, initially as fan art for a game called Warcube (awesome dev, by the way), and found it to my liking. From there I started learning animation.
My father had a career as a programmer so I had pretty solid roots there, but Iā€™d never delved very far down that road. Iā€™ve spent large portions of my time making and running role-playing games for my friends and game design seems a logical extension of that pursuit. So, here I am.
Less than a week and the first three sections of the Unity course under my belt, I am having a grand old time. Thanks for the excellent course!

See also,
VR Divers Campaign

3 Likes

Hi

Iā€™m Peter. I started the Unity course a while back but havenā€™t finished it. More recently I have been taking the Blender course and have finally decided to become part of the community. I started programming when I was about 10, but didnā€™t really do much until about 5 years ago when I started modding Minecraft. I have since come to love that style of game and hopefully want to create something similar in the future.

I love the courses so far, Thanks!

2 Likes

Good Evening (Morning?),

Iā€™m Nick and Iā€™m taking courses in Blender, Unreal and Unity. I have a little bit of hobby design/programming experience. I love games and I love figuring out how things work, so I canā€™t believe I didnā€™t find this community sooner.

I love all kinds of games, but Iā€™m a nerd for story (writer) so my creative leanings are narrative-driven/RPG. That doesnā€™t mean you wonā€™t find me blowing off way too many hours in MMO arena shooters or a certain survival sandbox game.

Courses and community are great. I look forward to curbing my curiosity and learning some more stuff.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello everyone. My name is Oz, and I am from Tucson, Arizona. Game development was my childhood dream, and it was extinguished when I tried to learn coding from my brother and decided that I would never be good enough for it.

I am returning to that dream 20 years later now, after realizing that resources (such as Unity and Benā€™s courses) have finally caught up with the level that I can feel focus on the design and hopefully get by the coding.

I am currently working on designing a 2.5D Side-scrolling RPG game that will try to meet Trine with Skyrim, and am very excited about it.

We are very pleased to have such a great community around Benā€™s courses.

2 Likes

Hi everybody!

I started the Unity course a while ago, but was a bit busy and didnā€™t get out of it what I wanted.
Right now I have built in some extra time to work through the course and learn about game design.
I work in the North-East of England as a front-end web developer and I started the Unity course because I thought it would be a good idea to step out of my comfort zone and dive into a very different field of design.

With this course and the other courses taught by Ben and the other instructors I hope to get a better understanding of UX and interactivity principles which I then hope to apply to my own work as a Web Developer.

Great to meet all of you and I hope to be able to constructively contribute to this community!

2 Likes

Hello World!

I just started the Unreal Engine Developer Course on Udemy. Iā€™m based in the UK and Iā€™m at a very early stage of my gamedev career. Being 31 I hope I didnā€™t left it too longā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s never too late to start!

1 Like

Anyone using any meetup groups to discuss, coach and learn?

1 Like

Hello World!

I just started the Unreal Engine Developer Course on Udemy. Iā€™m based in the UK and Iā€™m at a very early stage of my gamedev career. Being 31 I hope I didnā€™t left it too longā€¦

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms