A Warm Welcome to the GameDev.tv Community

Hi I’m Melvin and I am here learning 3D modeling. I have no experience but I want to learn.

1 Like

Hey all! I’m Mike and I’m from Chicago.

I’m currently enrolled in the Unreal Engine Developer Course and I’m really enjoying it so far!

I have prior experience with Unreal from learning it when I worked for a startup game company as a game programmer so I’m pretty used to the engine already, but I’m very excited to learn new things that I didn’t know about it already as well as learn C++ to the fullest since Blueprints are all I used during my employment.

My goal is to get the most knowledge out of this course and start writing games in C++ confidently, fortify my portfolio, and hopefully hop back into the industry again.

I’m thrilled to get deeper into the course, expand my knowledge, and get to know some of you awesome people out there. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi everyone,

My name is Kenny and I’m Australian, but currently live in Jamaica.

I have been interested in computer games since I was a kid (on an old IBT XT first, and then a glorious 486… those were the days!). I wanted to be a game programmer in high school but programming didn’t ‘speak’ to me at College. My main interest is screenwriting, but I’ve got a few ideas for games, so I’ve signed up for a few courses on Udemy to learn more about Unity and Unreal Engine. I’m in my late 30s, but it’s never too late to learn!

Enjoy,

Kenny

1 Like

Hi! i’m Jafet, i’ve done a couple of projects in Xamarin and i’m really excited to learn about Unity 2D and 3D!

Avid gamer, love space games and classic rpg’s.

1 Like

Hello all,

My name is Randall, I’ve been a producer in console video games for the last 12 years, and was console Quality Assurance tester before that. I’m looking at gaining some new skills while broadening my opportunities within the industry.

I started taking the C++ Unreal course on Black Friday, and have been loving every minute of it. I had very little experience with C++, PHP, mySQL, and javascript before going into the course, but never enough to feel like I could start something from scratch.

I’m happy to say that in the 5 days since I started on the course, my confidence in understanding C++ has flourished dramatically. I can converse semi-intelligently with engineers regarding core concepts at the development studio I work at, and am so thrilled the course teaches me in a way my brain gels with.

Looking forward to wrapping this course in a few weeks and moving onto more advanced topics, and conversing with the community!

If you have questions about the game industry, I’m open to answering questions via direct message, but I can tell you the question I answer most as well as its associated answer:

“How do you get into the game industry?”

You apply yourself to your craft (whether it’s code, design, art, production, QA, audio, etc.) and apply to every game company in a city you’re willing to work in. Compare your capabilities to other individuals in the industry who make the output of their craft publicly available (github, artstation, etc.) and figure out how to be as good as possible for the entry level position you want to have. As soon as you get your first job, focus every ounce of effort you have on doing that job to the best of your ability - don’t aim too high too fast or you’ll find yourself starting over quickly. For most companies in the industry, your demonstrable skills during an interview are worth more than anything you can put on your resume, including schooling. Focus on your demo reel, portfolio, or ability to discuss code at a pseudo-code level at length.

Look forward to collaborating with ya’ll in the future!

Randall

1 Like

Howdy all!!!

So I’m a 28 year old Indian guy from South Africa and I love heavy metal, fantasy literature, floofy critters & probably unsurprisingly - Video Games!.

So the reason I picked up the Godot course in particular is because I secured a spot in a coding Bootcamp which if I am successful with will allow me entry into a tuition free & actually reputable degree. I’ve been bumming around with a BA for the past 2 years more to keep busy than anything else but I took a chance on the application & to my surprise I made it past the first step. One of the languages I will be learning is Python and doing a little research showed me that GDScript is very similar. So I decided why not kill 2 birds with one stone & do something productive with my end of year break that also feeds into one of my passions.

I’ve always wanted to make games, nothing overly ambitious, games closer to what I really enjoy, smaller rogue-lite-ish experiences. I’ve tried to start a few times but I’m hoping that now with a quantifiable goal in mind to help aid in motivation I’ll be able to get there or at the very least make progress.

Wish me luuuuck!!!

1 Like

Hi all,
my name is Marco and even though i am originally from Italy, i live and work in the Uk, in Leeds.
I just started the c++ course because i want to be able to create the games i want to make.
I teach Game Design and 3d modelling in College, but i want to become a Full Time game designer.
Cheers, and see you along the road to c++ mastery!

2 Likes

Hi!
I’m Federico, from Italy!
I’m studing physic at UniPa, in Palermo, but I always loved to code and make games…
Finally for the Black Friday I found GameDevTV course for 2D games on sale and I take it! It seems very good, I hope I’ll finish it!
See you!

1 Like

hi I’m Christie, and i hope to become very good with the blender software and hopefully start creating great games in the future!

Hello,
Looking forward to learning Blender, I saw blender when it first come out but it was a mystery program that I didn’t have the time for. I have used Shade from time to time but for nothing to complex for rendering a scenes in other programs like Poser and Lightwave Rendering section and Bryce, Carra, and Daz Studio. I look at myself as beginner because there are so many things to learn for each program. Primarily I rendered with store bought models which limited you to create a scene and the reason why I am taking this course so I can overcome limitations. My portfolio is here https://mcallahan.cgsociety.org/

Hi everyone,

My name is Waldo and I am from South Africa. I am 33 years old and I have been a gamer all my life, gaming is one of my two passions in life, the other being music. My favourite genres are RPG’s, action games, shooters as well as the occasional adventure game.

I got the 2D Unity course a while ago but only did it up to number wizard and then kind of stopped. I didn’t stop for any particular reason, apart from some lazyness and lack of motivation. Right now I am unemployed and have a lot of time on my hands as a result and I have decided it’s time to give the course another shot. This time I aim to keep myself motivated by setting goals and striving to achieve them.

I’ve been interested in coding for a while and what better way to learn than making games?

Hello everyone!

I’m a brand new game developer. I just installed Unity and Visual Studio, and I bought the 3D Unity course by Ben and Rick on Udemy. I’m not sure what I’m going to develop yet, but I have a lot of time on my hands so I hope to learn a lot and hopefully make some money.

I’ve been bedridden for over a year. I am disabled and not able to live life as I used to. With that said, I am excited to hopefully dedicate some time to do things that I never got around to do. I’ve been a writer since I was young, and I hope to animate some of my writing ideas. I want to write a book, but I feel animating a game would be a easier way to make money since it would cost me lots of money to publish a book early on. So I’m hoping to begin my book series as a game and hopefully start a fan base. I’m hoping to push my game out to as many platforms as possible including PC, console, and mobile. Hopefully that is possible.

I haven’t made anything yet. I’m just taking the Udemy course and watching a YouTube series I found on Unity made by Brackeys. Actually I found the Udemy course from a YouTube ad there.

I am an experienced programmer and computer engineer, and so I have a strong technical background. What I lack in is design and artistic skills, and so I’ll be leaning on you all for tips on where I can maybe outsource or pay others for some of their graphical talents. I’m not quite there yet, but as I get a few things developed hopefully I will get a better idea of what I need.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

v/r,

Zhies

Privacy & Terms