A Simple but Complete RTS Game

yeah - please add a chapter to your unreal course with this!

1 Like

+1, Love RTS games. Would be the first to get this course

How do I use all my votes for RTS using Unity?!?! haha

1 Like

Iā€™m all in - Unreal all the way!

1 Like

I think it would be nice to see UE4 course of this, Unity has an RPG course I think it would be amazing to have an RTS course for UE4 :slight_smile:

+1

RTS games are most certainly not dead and provide an excellent medium for learning some of the more advanced topics in game development and CS in general, especially concepts related to graph theory that are included in nearly every game industry interview.

An RTS course would be a nice addition to either the Unreal or Unity courses since the concepts are engine independent and can be easily transferred once the mechanics of the engines themselves are understood (which are already covered in other courses).

1 Like

Just thought I would chime in on this for the UE4 developers. :slight_smile:

There is a free and open source RTS plugin available right now on Github.

Starcraftā€“the original Starcraft from 1999ā€“is still one of the most widely-played games in eSports (especially in Korea). Northgard sold half a million units in Alpha alone, and was generally very well-received upon release. Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s another genre with as many ā€œclassicsā€ (think AoE, Stronghold) that get kept alive and supported longer than successful RTS.

I think the only reason you donā€™t see more direct sequels is because some of the older games are built so well that the graphical improvements havenā€™t been enough to convince players to migrate.

I would be very interested in such a course, will it be finally available? :slight_smile:

I think it would be an incredible learning opportunity from the perspective of design. The moba genre has a very interesting set of challenges to combat including community interactions in a competitive environment and finding a system of post launch development that promotes consistent balancing. A simple approach to the fundamentals of building in the genre could inspire someone to experiment and challenge its common problems.

I also want the course, but want an extensive lectures on AI, such as how the AI develop their base, building their defense, reacting to situation, decision making like when to attack the player and when to retreat, defense their base

+1 for this idea! Would love to see AI a part of the course as well.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms