A Basic Queen

Here’s the basic queen piece for today.

Instead of kneading the original bishop’s hat into the crown, I deleted the entire top and extruded the base, added an UV sphere at the top. Deleted some vertices and bridged two edge loops.

I am also picking up habits to check for face orientations using colour overlay every now and then. When I made the crown, they were reversed for some reason. Had to F3 recalculate normals.

For the overhanging crown, originally I had the corners of the octagon as the pointy blades, creating a load of tris and a loop of pentagons. Puzzled over better topology, I followed the lecture’s procedure instead.

So much cleaner!
————

I also found pivot points and transformation orientations in the edit mode a bit confusing. Like the lecture demonstrated, if a face loop were to be selected, pivoted to individual elements (faces) and extruded along (individual) normal, the new geometry just lifts as opposed to the desirable effect.

Later I spot such discussion in the Q&As.

Turns out under that condition, if I used extrude individual faces, they actually extrude along individual normals just fine. Thanks Alex!

I guess a loop is treated as one element and actually has its normal through the middle hole or something like that. Anyhow, I will remember to use extrude individual faces for extruding loops along individual normals in the future.

Individual element + normal + extrude individual faces.

4 Likes

Fine Queen.
Looks like you are getting on well picking up blender tools and controls. Along with problem solving habits like face orientation checks!

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement, NP5. :laughing:
Really want to get Blender tamed this summer.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms