80's retro Argon Assault

Hello!

I decided to go a different path and imported a model from Blender with my terrain instead of going with the terrain editor in Unity. I also added some post processing effects to make it glow and look more lo-fi. Hopefully this doesn’t mess anything up as I move further into the course!

I tried to go with 80’s retro aesthetics, please tell me what you think:

11 Likes

I dunno if anyone cares but I always want to know how things are done behind the scene so here goes:

The terrain was made out of a grid in Blender, in which I pulled vertices up (with random parameter selected) to create the mountains, I then added a wireframe modifier to get the wireframe look, and separated ground faces and mountain faces into different objects and assigned them different materials. It was my first time playing around in Blender but it was easy enough to get this result with a little help from google and youtube. So if you wanna get into 3D - I would def recommend Blender.

Imported to Unity as a .fbx file and assigned new materials with emission colors (blue and pink) and a lit vertex shader (I think it was called). I then added bloom in post processing to get the colors to glow (emissive materials won’t emit light unless you have a static scene I think) and some grain effects and chromatic aberration.

I still want to model a simple spaceship (more fitting for the feeling I’m going for) for my player and add a huge orange sun in the background, but I think I’ll follow the course some more first.

2 Likes

it looks super cool.
I dont think that using it instead of a terrain will be a problem, but you might have to set the collider up a little differently. most likely not though.

Anyway, Super cool

1 Like

It looks awesome, a real 80s vibe.

1 Like

Thank you both for the kind words! Yeah I noticed that the Blender model doesn’t come with any collider so I’ll have to fix that. Hopefully it’ll work without any problems or too much performance issues :roll_eyes::grin:

no need to worry about collider for now.
Ben will go into details about colliders later on :smiley:

Good to know! :grinning:

The level has a cool tron look to it. And thanks for the tip on the wireframe modifier. I have only managed to find paid assets so far for that effect so this is a welcome alternative.

Btw once imported into unity adding a collider is as simple as clicking on the Add component button and selecting physics > box collider… or mesh collider which will be a more computationally intensive but perfectly shape matched collider .

1 Like

Thank you, that’s good to know moving forward! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I searched around awhile too before finding out about the wireframe modifier. They do get kind of a “twisted” look though that annoyed me first, but if the grid is small enough or bright enough, it’s not noticeable.

Hello again!

Haven’t had an opportunity to continue with the course yet so I played around some more in Blender and made a new player ship!

(Yes, it’s heavily inspired by Star Fox :stuck_out_tongue: )

Edit: Removed last video cause of bad quality and private setting, and added a new one.

1 Like

Feels like I’m spamming my own thread, but I’m thrilled how things are going, I really enjoy this course and I’m learning a lot!

So I’ve followed the course some more and modeled 2 enemies for the game:

I also updated the course in Blender, made it twice as big and a little more interesting:

I also made it so the enemies have health and need to take a couple of shots before going down, and made them flicker while being hit (made it with Coroutines in script). I dunno what Ben would say if he saw my code, it’s not nearly as neat and tidy as his, but hey, it’s working :stuck_out_tongue:

I also made it so my ship spews out some smoke after colliding with something, and enable gravity so it crashes against the ground before it explodes. Here’s a new short video:

(Maybe lower your sound a little, since I have a small kid I always have low volume on my computer, so there’s a slight chance the volume of the clip is too high, please let me know if that’s an issue and I’ll reupload)

I’m thrilled too! those pics look awesome!

1 Like

Thanks again for the kind words :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms