7 days of kept promises

Hey all,

I was just going through the video about being specific and keeping the promises to yourself and others. It is something that I find quite difficult, so I just wanted to say that I accept the challenge. I will come back in 7 days and let you know how it went.

Also, I am curious how others experience this challenge. Is it easy or hard? Are there any promises you couldn’t keep after all and why?

1 Like

Hi Wendy!

I totally understand how you feel. I also thought it was a pretty difficult challenge at first. In my case, what I did was to consider this not as an exercise to increase productivity, but as a way to learn how to evaluate when I was able to commit to things, and actually making the commitment. For instance, it might happen that a colleague would come to me and ask me when a specific task of the project would be ready. Usually I would answer something like “as soon as possible”. However, during the 7 days of promises week, I took the challenge to really estimate a specific date by which I thought I could deliver, and telling them.

The idea, I think, is not to set yourself for very short deadlines or impossible promises, but to be as honest as possible with yourself. In my case, I sometimes over-estimated the difficulty of some tasks I had committed to, and finished them very early. And a few time, it was a bit more stressing to respect the deadlines I had set. But in the end you still manage to do it, I think you can trust yourself.

So my advice would be to trust yourself. :slight_smile: You will find that you are actually good at estimating what you can commit to, and what maybe needs more work / thought before making the commitment. :wink:

Congratulations on taking the challenge, you already made the biggest step in this exercise! I wish you a great and successful week, and I look forward to hearing your feedback! :sunny:

2 Likes

So happy to see you guys taking the challenge, great work! You both have an excellent self-awareness which is often half the battle.

I look forward to hear how your 7 days goes Wendy!

1 Like

So my 7 days are over and I can look back on a very successful week. Although I haven’t worked on my project I did manage to get my work space cleaned up and take care of a bunch of personal stuff.

What I found was by having realistic expectations of myself I removed a blockage that often keeps me from getting into the flow and being productive. Also, committing to one task at a time helped me a lot, especially when they took a lot more time to finish than I thought the would.

I do still have to watch my energy though, because on day 8 I wasn’t able to go to my evening activity because of sheer exhaustion. So that shows how important it is to plan (totally) free days for myself.

3 Likes

Great stuff Wendy, thanks for circling back and letting us know how it went. And yes, be sure to plan downtime!

1 Like

Well done Wendy for beating the challenge! It is great to see that you managed to determine which commitment were realistic, and be productive! I agree for the need for totally free days, it is necessary to maintain your energy over the long run (like Rick says, it’s a marathon, not a sprint). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wendy,

Congrats of pulling off the 7 day promises! You’ve done better then I have when I tried to take it I ended up have to fly to a few states to help out for work. Also sound like you earned some RR.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms