40yr old n00b

I just started the C++ with Unreal course. I also might be atypical here as I’m 44 years old and really interested in learning to code. I also love games, so learning to code while creating games is going to be awesome. And who knows, maybe this will be the start of a late in life dramatic career change. Thanks for reading.

4 Likes

You’re not along mate, I was born in '72 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Beat you both :grinning:. Not having much trouble with the course proper found it quite easy to understand all the lectures - so to speak - the things is you get inspired to go beyond the course materials and that’s when I find I run into hurdles, some which have proved a step too far, and some of which you struggle over, all in all it’s been great.

I am however doing the Unity course, in my youth I tried programming in C++, and the pointers and accessors did my head in - so, I am leaving Unreal until the point that I absolutely must use the product I find C# much, much, much more user friendly (like Java), a pointer free zone.

BTW I seen the newer Unity 5.6 I might never need to go to Unreal :smile:.

3 Likes

Yeah if Unity can deliver on the customized render pipeline and parallel stuff they talked about in their 2017 GDC keynote then the ball will be in Unreal’s court.

As for C++ pointers, have you looked at so-called modern C++? std::shared_ptr and std::unique_ptr prettt much do away with explicit new and delete so the memory management thing is considerably less painful.

I was lucky enough to be using .NET back before it was called ‘.NET’ and whilst C# is very good I sorely wish it had deterministic destruction without having to go down the ‘opt-in’ route of IDisposeable.

Bottom line is both languages require you to think about managing resources.

2 Likes

I’ll be hitting 40 at the end of the year so very happy to see I’m not the only one starting out in development at this age.

1 Like

Good luck to everyone in this thread on your adventure! :wink:

As a child of '73 myself ive not long started the forray into Unity and loving stretching the grey matter :slight_smile:

Enjoy the journey, have fun and share your progress and ideas along the way.

Theres quite a few of us in the same boat to help each other out :wink:

Well you want to hear a funny story. I’am 30 days in with Unity and C# and cannot get enough. Also “48 year old n00b”. I am making a Career Change, weather it works out or not I don’t Care So to sum it up where I am at since starting this Journey. I have completed C# Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners,Bob Tabor.
Which I would recommend , i did 100% of this course and got a Certificate. WOHO! lol. And Iam 55% through Ben Tristem’s "The Unity RPG Creater in C# Series. <= Strongly Recommend, even if you don’t want to make RPG. Excellent course. Ive gotten 37% of Ben’s other course "Learn to Code by Making Games - Complete C# Unity. At this moment I have subscribed to Unity now and Working on the Certification Developer Program. Not sure about taking the Certification Test, iam a complete noob. We will See how it goes since i have 30 days to complete this course.
Now do I think i could just make a game on my own and write all those C# scripts. The answer for me is NO but Iam on my way. So watch out! There might be some great game coming your way.

“What you Put into it, is What you Get out of it”

4 Likes

I was born in '79 so no worries =)

1 Like

Privacy & Terms